Internet Will not work, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Will not work, help!

Ok, so this computer comes into our workshop, and he says it wont boot. Fair enough, My workmate colin says He'll take a look at it.
    As im on work experience here he tells me to look at it because it is busy, so I do,
    Some connections were faulty etc... and the graphics card blah blah blah was not in correctly. I fix all that, and it boots up.
    Then, I try to get it running on the Internet, using our network and it will not work.
    The network Lead is in properly, and the cable is perfect, I tested it.
    Where the network lead goes in, there is ment to be a green light, yes? Well it is not there, its orange, but it does not flash.
    The IP and DNS settings are all correct aswell, but still, no Internet...

Anybody got any suggestions?

--Kris--

Re: Internet Will not work, help!

Have you tried another computer on that network lead? (You need to confirm that the lead is delivering a connection before suspecting the PC).

Once the network is working, right-click "My Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager" and check that the drivers for the network card are loaded and functioning correctly; also if you have access to the internet elsewhere check that the drivers/firmware for the NIC are the latest versions. Come back to us if that lot doesn't help.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Internet Will not work!

Check to see if a proxy has been set in the Connections tab on Internet Explorer or whatever browser is being used. (Also, there is no need to put the word help into the Topic.)

The NIC being Orange might mean it is a gigabit card and is connected to a megabit network. (Or it is a 100 megabit NIC connected to a 10 meg network)
      Last edited by biggles77; 1st December 2006, 15:49. Reason: Additional educational info.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

How 'bout we start with the basics:

Ping 127.0.0.1
        Ping host ip
        ping gateway
        ping etc

If you fail on the first or second one then start troubleshooting the hardware.
        Any of the other ones you know it's a network issue (configuration, cables, ports, etc)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          How 'bout we start with the basics:

Ping 127.0.0.1
          Ping host ip
          ping gateway
          ping etc

If you fail on the first or second one then start troubleshooting the hardware.
          Any of the other ones you know it's a network issue (configuration, cables, ports, etc)
          or a corrupt tcp/ip stack... But indeed. Follow Jeremy's lead. Also check you're ip configuration before start those tests.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

G'day Eternity,
            Check the duplex settings and speed of your LAN card. What I found is if the lan card is operating in half duplex and the switch you are using to connect your computer is in full duplex then it would be solid orange light of your lan card. It also depend on speed as well. If your lan card is capable of operating on 10 Mbps and switch or hub is on 100 then again you will recieve same error.
            So over come your problem try to match duplex and link speed of LAN card of your computer and switch or hub you are using.
            thanks

Comment

Working...
            X