No announcement yet.

Processor Revision

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Revision

We have a server (a cluster member) which often has STOP 7F/08 errors, and I got the honour of investigating. It turns out that two of it's processors are "Stepping 4" and two are "Stepping 7" - and a warning in the Event Log specifies that this will cause instability.

Is the "Stepping" number upgradeable in Software (a hot-flash or something) or will I need to have the processors at Stepping 4 replaced?

Thanks in advance.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Processor Revision

AFAIK stepping refers to the actual design of the chip.
    The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 core step. Later, as improvements are made to the product for functional fixes or manufacturing improvements, the core stepping number is incremented. Generally speaking, minor changes result in an increased number (i.e. A-3 to A-4), while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (i.e. A-3 to B-0). Note that a B-0 core stepping is more recent than an A-4 core stepping.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: Processor Revision

JeremyW is correct. Hate to say it but if all don't match, you can get obscure problems. Not saying your stop issue is related to stepping but you may want to try pulling 2 CPU's and running w/ 2 at the same stepping to confirm that is the issue.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.