Need help recovering my cd and dvd drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help recovering my cd and dvd drives

I recently set up a network on my sons/my computers. Just a simple 100 Mbps one. He is running Windows XP Pro and I am running Windows XP Home. I set up the network, unsuccessfully, I might add and in the midst of all that, I lost the cd and the dvd drives on his computer. I should say now that I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 on his computer (but never registered or even finished setting it up, since we couldn't use his computer yet for the internet--sorry for the digression).

I have checked in My Computer (right clicked Manage) to see if his computer recognizes the drives, and it doesn't have any listings at all in the Libraries. I also did a couple of system restores, which messed up the network, but didn't fix the problem with the cd and dvd drives.

Is there a simple solution to this, or will it be pretty involved? I am pretty new at figuring all this out and could really use some help from someone who has been through all this.

Thanks in advance,
    Quasimodo
    Last edited by Quasimodo; 22nd November 2006, 04:49. Reason: misspelled word

Re: Need help recovering my cd and dvd drives

Originally posted by Quasimodo
    I have checked in My Computer (right clicked Manage) to see if his computer recognizes the drives, and it doesn't have any listings at all in the Libraries
    Sorry, but what do you mean by listings in the Libraries?
    Have a look in Device Manager and see if the Drives are listed.
    Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are displayed.

Do you have the CD that came with the Motherboard that is in the computer with the disabled drives?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

i would start in the bios to see if the drives (hardware) are recognized there and if yes then start OS troubleshooting.
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

Well, young Man I'll tell you what you did Wrong. You have a Corrupt CD-ROM .Sys File. And the only way that I have ever recovered from those was to dump the drive and try again. You can install and uninstall all day. but the CR-Rom.SYS will still be bad file.

You may try to unpower the the drives from the 4pin molex plug. and power the system back up. in doing so, go into C:\Windows\prefetch And the TEMP File and Edit all and Del.

Then Start Run %TEMP% And dunp all that. Run Disc Cleanup and Defrag the Drive. Clear all Events in the Event Viewer, Reboot System, then power off and repower your CD-Roms. And see if Windows finds them. If not...

FORMAT C:

And whatever you do DUMP NORTON. It's a resourec Hog, And is Over Rated !
        Norton can cause these Problems too. I've seen it a million times over.
        "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X