Temporary Internet Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Internet Files

This might be a very basic query for you, but it will be agreat use to me if you guide me on this. I get many attachments through email which are excel files, word files or power point presentation. Sometimes i forget to save in a particular location and delete the email. Are this files stored somewhere ? or they are created in temporary internet files folders ? if yes how can i find it out and retrive it and use it. If no then please suggest me a software which automatically save such files in a specific folder.

Regards,
    Amit

Re: Temporary Internet Files

If you delete the email the files are attached to, then the file is deleted also. However, if the email program or the Word/Excel/PowerPoint program isn't closed correctly then a "temp" file may have stayed open. There are several places on the HDD where temp files are located. It varies according to your operating system. Since yours seems to be a closely guarded secret we really can't help much more until you let us know what it might be.

Moved to Misc Forum.
    Last edited by biggles77; 4th November 2006, 13:50.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

but if you just delete them they should be still in the deleted itmes folder...
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

There is nothing secret about it, I just wanted to retrive these excel/powerpoint files which are erroneously closed by me. And there have been many such instances where i am not able to retrive it. Do you have anything, like some software or some settings to be made in PC. I have Windows XP - Professional. I am not so much well versed with PC. But yes if you have something in you mind then please let me know.

Thanks
        Amit

Comment

hmmm maybe the autosave feature in excel will help you?
          you can configure that every opened document will be automatically saved.

in your excel or word please go to

tools --> options --> save tab

there you will find allot of save features... like auto save... make a backup copy etc... just look around there
          MCSE 2000 Done
          RHCE Done

Comment

So here's how you find out where these MS Office files are stored should you open them directly from within an email (vs. saving the attachment):

1) Open an MS Office attachment you have in an existing email.

2) Do a File\Save As and you should see a dialog pointing you to that location. It's probably a directory called OLKhh (some 2 digit hex number) located in your Temporary Internet Files.

3) Pull down that "Save in" combo box and note the full path of your Temporary Internet Files (in case someone moved them) and the name of this OLKhh directory

Default location would be

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKhh

4) Navigate to your "Temporary Internet Files" in Explorer then to your OLKhh directory.

Since "Temporary Internet Files" has a hidden desktop.ini that makes it behave differently from other folders in Explorer, you'll need to append the \OLKhh to the address in Explorer's address bar to get there OR use a good old DOS box and change directories the old fashioned way.

5) See what you have

I found a bunch of old Word, Excel and other file types in mine.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Arj_1900, the crack about you having a secret operating system was in reference to you not supplying one. Different operating systems treat these operations in differing ways so we really needed to know what you used in order for an answer be supplied to your question.

RValstar has hit the nail on the head with his answer and you may find some of the files you are looking for there. I would suggest you get into the habit of saving the attachments before deleting the emails so you don't end up sending required files into the great void. Perhaps even create a folder called Email Attachments so they are all in the same location. This makes it easier to find them and they are all in one place if you find you want to delete them.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X