Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware: cpu gets to hot 99+ celcius

Hi

this weekend i was shocked i was sitting at my desk (at home) and i have changed my desktop resolution to something higher then it was... original settings
    1024x768 something like that ok so i started to drag it to the right.. more and more... and i got to 1600x1200 my hardware should support it and my monitor too... but i never tryed it... anyway i clicked ok and after a few seconds 2 or 3 i got my new resolution... ok every thing seems fine... a little small but works... ok so i click dont keep settings (15 seconds counting back) and i got a black screen and i can only see the mouse pointer... hmmm i am waiting and waiting nothing happens... ok so i push the windows button on the keyboard + r and i type shutdown -r -f -t 1 and my system reboots ok... i continue to work and my system reboots again... after couple of times rebooting.. i checked the bios and i see that my CPU get to 99+ celcius and reboots... ok so i take the power cables out... wait a minute... and i disconected the cpu cooler... cleaned it and i see that the termal cream is like beton... very hard... hmm i dont have termal cream at home... so i clean it very good both cpu and cooler... and put it back on the cpu... checked that it sits ok... and power back on... but again... i go to the bios and i see that it goes back to over 95 celcius and i shut it down i hope i did not broke something there... ill buy today termal cream and will check it...

but the cpu should not get so hot... even without termal cream... so i take the bios battery out and after 2 minutes i put it back in the place and still the same problem (i was thinking maybe some cpu settings changed clocking features)

is all this becouse of termal cream?

hardware:
    motherboard
    asus p5ad2-e premium
    cpu
    p4 3 ghz (prescot) i have heard they get very hot
    memory
    2x512mb corsair twinx

and my computer case is very coold... and very good air circulation and not to small
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Re: Hardware: cpu gets to hot 99+ celcius

What graphics card?

No thermal paste is a very bad idea!

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

asus geforce 6600 GT
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

First use Artic Silver. I am suggesting this as I have one Prescott left and using this product lowered the CPU operating temperature by 7C at a room temp of 22C. (CPU was running idle at 58C)
        Second, check the plactic bracket holding the heatsink and fan onto the CPU. I have had 2 of these break and it results in the heatsink not maintaining contact with the CPU, therefore NO heat dispertion and then BSOD/shutdown.
        Third, say Thank you to Intel for having the "thermal overload switch" (I don't know what it is called) and shutting down the CPU before it fried. If it had been an earlier AMD, it would have been bye bye processor. (Please no AMD v Intel flames, just stating a fact). The new AMDs do have some sort of thermal protection.
        Four, NO OVERCLOCKING!!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

oh no ill never clock my hard earned purchased hardware... to expensive to take risk's... i am on the way to the store now... and ill update you in the next 1:30 hours... thanks for the tip with the termal cream... i have to check if they have it in the store here...

EDIT:
          ok i found the arctic silver 5 the price was 40 NIS if i calculate it with babylon + - 9.34 dollar and my CPU is now at 56 - 58 oh thats such a good day i was thinking i have to buy a new cpu or worst...

thanks for the tips... i am kind of scared to change my resolution to 1600x1200 should i try again? my hardware should support it but i think i stay smart and i DONT change it if it works dont touch... thanks again...
          Last edited by yaniv; 29th October 2006, 13:49.
          MCSE 2000 Done
          RHCE Done

Comment

Your video card will support it. Will your monitor? What is the make & model of your monitor? LCD or CRT? If CRT, what refresh rate were you using?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

it is a sony lcd 19 inch but i dont remember the model now... i can check later at home... but what i can tell you now is that if i had to buy i new one it would be a syncmaster... they are cheap and better in my opinion
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

19 inch LCDs normally have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024. Some newer / higher spec models have 1400 x 1050. I have never heard of a TFT smaller than 20" which supports 1600x1200

You cannot turn it up past native resolution.

IMHO, RTFM about the monitor and check what it can support, then turn it up to that resolution only.

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X