Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Boot Server

Hi

I have been searching for a network boot server, I do not wish to use the one that comes with sbs 2003 as it is running in my production enviroment.

I thought there may be a linux distro that would alow me to do this, but I have not came across anything yet.

I would like a simple pxe boot server that will allow me to network boot and deliver Windows/Linux ISO's across the network.

Has anyone got any pointers?

thanks

Re: Network Boot Server

From what i've read most Linux distro's can do PXE booting.

It may be worthwhile getting RedHat or Fedora and trying that.

Guy is our resident Linux expert so he may have other suggestions.

Comment

Thanks Wullieb1....

I am going to have a look today, hopefully Guy can check this out and offer some advice.

Comment

Hi
        i am using Fedora core 5 for PXE booting... with kickstart for linux and memdisk for windows installation.

memdisk is used to load *.IMA files that i have creatd with winimage (ghost boot floppys) and then i load the windows images from ghost

i have a manual with step by step how to and the memdisk file and all the things you need

send me a pm with your e mail and i send it to you... i cant attach it here the file is 1MB and the limit here is something 250 kb...
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Brian, I would suggest asking Steven in the SBS Forum if there are any pitfall in using RIS on an SBS server. I use RIS on a single standard 2003 Server DC running everything except ISA2004 and I don't have any problems.

This was just a comment about my experience with RIS and not a reflection on your requirements.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Brian, I would suggest asking Steven in the SBS Forum if there are any pitfall in using RIS on an SBS server. I use RIS on a single standard 2003 Server DC running everything except ISA2004 and I don't have any problems.

This was just a comment about my experience with RIS and not a reflection on your requirements.
            I agree. We use RIS on a stand alone 2003 box and it works a treat. Would recommend.
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks everyone, a lot to go over there.

yaniv - PM on the way

biggles77 - I will do some testing then post a message for Steven.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X