Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lan card and power

hi
    i have a dell d505 laptopcomputer running windows xp with service pack 2 on it
    this morning i discovered after troubleshooting that my ethernet port(LAN) port always shows state media disconnected whenever i plug in the power cable.
    on a continous ping to any known ip it works fine but shows the hardware error then destination host unreachable errors after pluging the power.
    the wireless card works fine with or without the power.
    Anyone know what might be causing this?

Re: Lan card and power

Have you updated the BIOS and drivers??

What happens when you run the Dell Diagnostics??

Also what do you mean by "ethernet port(LAN) port always shows state media disconnected whenever i plug in the power cable."??

Do you mean the LAN cable or the actual power cable for the laptop??

Comment

ive tried to update the drivers it says thats the current best driver available.
      i will try to update the bios now.
      the lan connection shows the network cable unplugged sign.so it is the lan cable and not the power cable that shows unplugged

Comment

Try downloading from dell support site "DELL QUICK SET". Inside of this package of softwares is "Internal Network Card Power Management" which helps managing with internal network card when using in batery power or plugged in AC.

It may help for your problem.
        Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Have you tried changing it to a different port on the switch? Individual switch ports have been known to fail.
          Have you tried reseating the card or even swaping it to another slot?
          11 was a racehorse.
          22 was 12
          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
          ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

yes i have tried different ports on the switch and even differnt switches.
            i think i have been able to be sure that the problem is with the system.
            the quick set feature does not give a troubleshoot option.
            it just says the card is activated regardless of what the status is on the system wheather online or offline
            thanks

Comment

Have you had a look inside the laptop port and seen if any of the pins are bent out of shape?
              Last edited by biggles77; 5th October 2006, 07:42.
              11 was a racehorse.
              22 was 12
              1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
              ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                Have you had a look inside the laptop port and seen if any of the pins are bent out of shape?
                Damn you Biggles77.

That was my next question.

Comment

Working...
                X