Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get directory size printout

For an SBS 2003 server -

Is there an easy way to get a nice looking printout of the directory tree WITH the size that each folder currently has in it?

We are trying to clean out an exceedingly clogged server. Lots of extraneous files in lots of places from lots of users. If it was all in individual directories, it would be easier. We could impose size limitations and tell them to clean it up or get locked out.

But they are accountants, and being accountants they NEVER want to get rid of the smallest, most worthless item. The files are all in common directories, and they have no idea what belongs to whom (or is it who?).

So the first step is to identify where the files are.

I would like to be able to drill down about 3 or 4 levels. A complete tree is overkill.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Re: How to get directory size printout

http://print-file-list.qarchive.org/downloads.html

Dont know which are free and which require real $$$ but something should help you

will probably give more

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wasn't there a DOS command that would allow you to port it to a text file? (I remember something, but something is all I can remember.) Does this ring a bell for anyone?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Wasn't there a DOS command that would allow you to port it to a text file? (I remember something, but something is all I can remember.) Does this ring a bell for anyone?
        This will drill down all the way to the bottom but it might be useful...

Enter the following in the cmd prompt:

Code:
        dir /s /a /ogn > dir.txt

/s - Searches subdirectories.
        /a - Shows hidden / system files.
        /ogn - Sorts by Directory, then Filename.
        > dir.txt - Outputs the result to a file.
        Then open the result file (dir.txt) in your favorite text editor and print.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by ahinson; 13th September 2006, 05:43.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The DOS command DIR redirected to a text file does output to a file and gives file sizes, but would be an enormous printout and doesn't give directory size.

I will try the suggestion by Ossian and check back.

Comment

Good Solution Found

Ossian,

You win a cookie.

I downloaded the JR Directory Printer program and installed it on my workstation. (I hate installing stuff on the server if I can avoid it).

It is good for a 15 day trial. No limitations.

You can print, preview, or export to a variety of files, including Comma Delimited CSV which I imported into Excel and got a really nice sort and printout from.

There were other candidates too, but this one seemed closest so I tried it.

Your cookie is chocolate chip. Hope you have milk.

Comment

Thanks for the cookie, rderby, although the other mods will tell you I prefer a

I'm glad you got the result you wanted

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What about FoldersReport from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.html - It doesn't need any installation...

Comment

Working...
                X