Partition Magic crashed HDD ! Pls help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition Magic crashed HDD ! Pls help

I was creating a new partition using Symantec Partition Magic 8.0 and during the process a power outage occured. Now after the Windows Xp boot screen I see a blue screen and my laptop restarts and this goes on. So I booted using my Windows XP CD and tried reinstalling Windows XP over the present installation but setup said I had to format the partition because it was corrupted. Btw, I only had one partition So I deleted that partion and created it again. But when I try to format it in NTFS format I get an error message:
    Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated.
    Man! A mere power loss can do so much damage??! I lost all my data but I dont want to loose my hard drive too !!

Any sorta help would be greatly appreciated.
    Be nice to geeks. You might end up working for one!

Re: Partition Magic crashed HDD ! Pls help

Go to the manufacturers website and see if they haev a low level drive test utility. Run that and make sure the drive is physically OK -- if not, new drive.

Get a low level format utility (manufacturer again) and format the drive fully, then try the windows installation.

You have seen why Partition Magic (and all similar software) warns you to make sure you have a current backup before doing any low level work on the drive. I hope you didnt lose too much.

Given the low cost of IDE/SATA drives, you may find it quicker and easier to get a new drive, get Windows up and running, then worry about the old drive

Good luck!

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No you can see the value of spending USD$60 on a cheap UPS. (Cheap example)
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
        Go to the manufacturers website and see if they haev a low level drive test utility. Run that and make sure the drive is physically OK -- if not, new drive.

Get a low level format utility (manufacturer again) and format the drive fully, then try the windows installation.

You have seen why Partition Magic (and all similar software) warns you to make sure you have a current backup before doing any low level work on the drive. I hope you didnt lose too much.

Given the low cost of IDE/SATA drives, you may find it quicker and easier to get a new drive, get Windows up and running, then worry about the old drive

Good luck!

Tom
        My laptops HDD manufacturer is Toshiba & their site is awful and I couldn't find any such utility. Isn't there a free utility that will work for all hard drives and is also a bootable DOS application? Is there a utility that will recover my data?

Thanks
        Be nice to geeks. You might end up working for one!

Comment

Fortunately tells us that IBM and possibly maxtor utilities may work.

There are some general utilities (including data recovery tools) on programs such as Hirens Boot CD but they are not free and you should own an appropriate license to use them legally. Hirens boots from CD and is very good.

No one can tell how recoverable your data is without testing the drive first. You have two strikes against you -- you were in the middle of changing partitions and you have possible damage to the drive electronics. You will need to decide how much the data on the drive is worth to you and compare it with the cost of professional data recovery.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Damn, I really do need new glasses as I have just noticed that this happened on a laptop. Did you not have the battery connected when you were doing this process? Even if you did, I would toss the HDD away as you really can't trust it anymore for data reliability.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Probably Master Boot Record has been damaged. Try booting from windows CD, and than use recovery console. In command prompt use FIXMBR and/or FIXBOOT command. After this try CHKDSK. And this will(can) solve your problem.
              Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Working...
              X