Backup Exec, every other week - monthly problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exec, every other week - monthly problem

I'm having a problem with my backup strategy. I use Backup Exec 10d to create a two set backup. Theese two sets run every other week like shown at the end of this document. The problem is that if the Month changes in the middle of the 4th week, which runs on the set Diff 2, the last days of the differential backup on the fourth week will end up on the set Diff 1 since the last days of the fourth week actually are the first days of week 1 of the new month.

Do I make any sense at all? Is there something I can do about this?

1st week of the month, Sunday Set Full 1
    1st week of the month, Monday Set Diff 1
    ..and so forth through the week days
    1st week of the month, Friday Set Diff 1

2nd week of the month, Sunday Set Full 2
    2nd week of the month, Monday Set Diff 2
    2nd week of the month, Friday Set Diff 2

3rd week of the month, Sunday Set Full 1
    3rd week of the month, Monday Set Diff 1
    3rd week of the month, Friday Set Diff 1

4th week of the month, Sunday Set Full 2
    4th week of the month, Monday Set Diff 2
    4th week of the month, Friday Set Diff 2
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Backup Exec, every other week - monthly problem

What I am trying to achieve, at the end of the day, is a two set backup with each set running every other week, with no regard to the change of months.

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
      What I am trying to achieve, at the end of the day, is a two set backup with each set running every other week, with no regard to the change of months.
      Why not use a weekly schedule instead of monthly? Have it run every other week. Just stagger the start dates.
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I was using the scheduling within Backup Exec and didn't think outside the box. I disabled the Backup Exec schedule and I'm now exploring the possibilities of executing Backup Exec job from command line, as follows:

c:\progra~1\VERITAS\backup~1\NT\bemcmd.exe -o1 -j"Diff 1"

Using the windows scheduled tasks I can do it week by week without the end of the month problem that Veritas Backup Exec gave me.

Thanks for the excellent idea! I hope it works as I planned - not sure if the job success will be logged as normal - but I think so.

/Anders

Comment

The command line method will work for you, but might be difficult for someone else to follow if they need to. For example, you get hit by a bus and are trying to explain your method over the phone to someone back at the office. Good luck trying to get them to understand.

The other method suggested to you by JeremyW is probably your better choice.

Instead of doing first week of month, second week of month, and so on - just do a weekly job and set the job interval to every 2 weeks. This can be done to implement more complicated (but more effective) backup strategies, such as the GFFS (Grandfather-Father-Son) strategy we used to recommend when Veritas was Seagate (yes I did tech support there).

For example, I like my full backup night to be Tuesday, not Friday, because there is almost always someone in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to insert the tapes and review the results. That means all my Wednesday/Thursday/Friday jobs are the same and are repeated weekly. My Tuesday Full jobs also repeat weekly. But I have 4 Monday jobs which must be scheduled separately. This is so the Monday jobs do an eject at the end of the job and the First Monday does an overwrite, but the Second, Third and Fourth jobs do not.

The 4 Monday jobs are scheduled to occur on Monday and repeat every 4 weeks. The Full job repeats every 1 week, and the Wednesday to Friday job also repeats every 1 week.

I suggest you try scheduling from within the backup program.

And by the way, sorry about hitting you with that bus. I was looking at a girl.

Comment

Working...
          X