Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell PowerEdge R710 Drive lights

Hello everyone,

Got a question regarding the drive activity and status lights on my Dell PowerEdge R710 server. As you can see from the picture attached, one of the four drives in our RAID 5 array has two constant solid green lights whilst the other 3 drives are just sitting there with one solid green light.
    Came in to work this morning and one of the drives had failed and the lights on it were flashing amber, so we popped the drive out and replaced it with a brand new one. It's the one thats been replaced which is sitting there with two solid green lights.

From reading the dell documentation I gather than when the drives are rebuilding we'd be getting some flashing going on, but no flashing is happening, what you see on the picture is literally what is happening.

Connected into the iDrac card and its iDrac 6 enterprise which doesnt show anything about RAID so thats no good to anyone.

Now if it was critical I'd powerdown the server and look in the Perc controller on boot up, but its only used as a storage for some ISO images on ESXI anyway so hardly worth knocking one of our production servers off for but I'd like to know as the Dell documentation doesn't give me the answer.

Any Dell server lovers out there seen this activity before?

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Files

Re: Dell PowerEdge R710 Drive lights

My customer likes Dell, and we have some 700-series servers, and used several different models before that, all the way down to a Powervault SCSI array. That light pattern is not normal. The activity normally seen when an array rebuilds after a drive failure is swapped out is that all array members show activity, because info from across the array is used to rebuild the missing member (assuming not just a mirror).

And your PERC controller should certainly be able to tell you what your disc status, by array, volume or individual physical discs. Something's not right.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is there another way to get to the PERC information without rebooting the system? It's on ESXI not Windows and the iDrac6 doesn't even have an area for storage information and isn't meant to from my research, that was added in iDrac7.

Thanks
      Mark

Comment

You shuld be able to install OpenManage on your ESXi server and then connect from another machine. You can install this using VUM and adding the Dell repository.

This should open a PDF with instructions.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...88198703,d.dGY

Adding the Dell repository to VUM

http://www.jonmunday.net/2013/03/19/...ll-extensions/

Comment

Thank you very much for that detailed answer you've been a great help!
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X