Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server Upgrade Advise Requested

Hello All,

I am looking into purchasing new domain controller servers. I was hoping to get advice and opinions on the situation.

The current network consists of approx 35 workstations and approx 10 servers. Being a printing company, we have a handful of servers and unique printers to deal with. We are going to be renovating the offices, and adding in some more computer/servers (Approx 20-30 more computers/printers/servers). Most of the servers are used to RIP files for the printing end, which I do not have to worry about. This brings the total up to about 60-70 drops.

Our 2 main servers (SQL server and Domain controller) are over 10 years old and running Server 2003. What I would like to do here is buy 2 Servers approx at $2000-$3000 EACH. I am hoping this can be done including the licensing and other expenses I'm not really aware of. Please advise if you think there is something that should be brought to my attention.

I would like to have both of the servers running Server 2012.
    On top of the 2 server boxes, I want to get an iSCSI to hold all of our virtual machines.

I am going to virtualize the SQL and the current domain controller. The database in the SQL is now obsolete to our company, but the workers still want to be able to reference the information. I believe creating a Virtual for these machines will comply with them.

I believe this will give me the most flexibility as well as functionality.

I only have a budget of approx $7000. (2 servers and the NAS device)
    I would greatly appreciate examples of servers.
    I am looking at the Dell Poweredge servers but the licensing seems so expensive!

Any and all advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated!
    Thank you
    Standard_IT

Re: New Server Upgrade Advise Requested

A clue which country you are in and the currency ($ is used in many places, but I presume you mean "USD"?) would help a great deal
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, United States - $7000 USD

Sorry about that confusion.

Comment

I would stick with a tier 1 supplier but i don't think $2-3000 will get you a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          I would stick with a tier 1 supplier but i don't think $2-3000 will get you a great deal.
          Having done some work in the printing industry here in OZ, I gotta agree with Wullie. The price you have mentioned would get a File Server for a school. You would need to double that for the printers. AUD$8,000 was the cheapest Server installed in any print shop that I worked in. Then there was the Mac Server and, believe it or not, Token Ring that I had to set up. First time for everything.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you guys for both of your considerations. I do intend on sticking to Dell or HP servers.

Biggles, we do have our RIP servers that were very expensive. 2 around $8-10,000 & 1 that was up in the $15,000 area. This is where the majority of the company processing will take place. I was looking to grab a couple servers to cluster and work as the host machines. My plan here is to build 2 host machines with the majority of its focus on the processors and RAM, aiming towards virtualization. There will be an attached NAS Device to store onto the virtual folders.

I realize that $3000 is not a very large budget. I do believe there is some breathing room there, but i was hoping for some feedback, which i am thankful to have gotten.

Any thoughts?
            After built a few dummy machines on the dell website, I do believe i can come close to this price. Maybe if anyone would take their time to customize a machine to fit my needs, I would greatly appreciate looking at someone's opinion other than my own.

Thank you,
            Standard

Comment

Rack or standalone??

How much RAM do you need per server?

How much disk space do you need per server?

Running SQLon one of your boxes will require quite a bit of both memory and disk, should be running on different disks and RAID and have chunks of RAM.

Comment

I was thinking Standalone, as they seem to be cheaper. I do have a nice rack here, so if I could find a rack mounted server in my price range, that would be great. I feel they are easier to maintenance.

I think that 2 GB RAM for most of the virtuals is enough, with 4GB running the host machines. I was thinking at least 16GB RAM per server.

For the HDD, I beleive a mirrored TB, or even less would be sufficient. This box will not be file serving.

For the SQL Server, I'm under the impression that we rarely use this database. Some of the estimators simply want to be able to reference it on occasion. I plan on setting them up to run the virtual machine whenever they need it.

A consultant I work with has recommended some of these HP Refurbished servers that he has access to. When i get the specs of those i will try to share, and maybe i could get some input on that as well.

In General, what are some opinions on refurbished hardware?

Any and all advise is appreciated!
                Standard

Comment

I would contact any IT suppliers you are on good terms with and ask them if they distribute graded hardware lists. These comprise systems that have either been repaired, refurbished, unsold, are slightly soiled etc and are available at a reduced price. Often the systems are in pristine condition. If you're lucky, someone might have some servers.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Remember that for Virtuals, RAM is King. 16GB looks a bit light to me. That is what I have on my Hyper-V non production test machine at home and I would really like it to have 32GB.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You also have the option of the Dell Outlet where you can purchase systems at a reduced cost due to any number of reasons.

Comment

Thank you all for your input! I looked into Refurbished machines and it seems we may have it a jackpot. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. REDUNDANCY EVERYWHERE!! ))

We are getting two identical servers that cost us $2200 each, $4400 Total.
                        The NAS Device I'm getting is a 6Bay Seagate with 24TB. This cost $1500.

Dual Xeon X5650 Six Core 2.66GHz 12MB 6.4GT/s 95W BEST VALUE
                        48GB - (6 x 4GB) + (6 x 4GB) PC3-10600R
                        P410i/0 (RAID 0, 1, 1+0)
                        Dual 750 Watt Redundant Power Supplies
                        Slimline DVD-ROM
                        Sliding Rail Kit (no CMA)
                        HP iLO Advanced including 1yr 24x7 Technical Support and Updates Single Server License
                        No Additional NIC
                        2 x Used HP 600GB 10K 6G DP SAS SFF in Hot Plug Tray

All the advise and tips is greatly apprecaited! Makes me feel good about my decision.

Thank you,
                        Standard_IT

Comment

Thank you all for your input! I looked into Refurbished machines and it seems we may have it a jackpot. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. REDUNDANCY EVERYWHERE!! ))

We are getting two identical servers that cost us $2200 each, $4400 Total.
                          The NAS Device I'm getting is a 6Bay Seagate with 24TB. This cost $1500.

Dual Xeon X5650 Six Core 2.66GHz 12MB 6.4GT/s 95W BEST VALUE
                          48GB - (6 x 4GB) + (6 x 4GB) PC3-10600R
                          P410i/0 (RAID 0, 1, 1+0)
                          Dual 750 Watt Redundant Power Supplies
                          Slimline DVD-ROM
                          Sliding Rail Kit (no CMA)
                          HP iLO Advanced including 1yr 24x7 Technical Support and Updates Single Server License
                          No Additional NIC
                          2 x Used HP 600GB 10K 6G DP SAS SFF in Hot Plug Tray

All the advise and tips is greatly appreciate! Makes me feel good about my decision.

Thank you,
                          Standard_IT

Comment

Look pretty good - is the warranty also 1 year?
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                            X