Help Needed - probably very simple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - probably very simple

IT Help needed. The Hard drive recently went on my Laptop. I took the old (Seagate) one out, googled the number of it and purchased another one from an online shop (they did seem a little dodgy as it came in a box for a different product). They do look similar although the new one looks a little thinner. I tried fitting it and it is very loose in the laptop and the laptop doesn't recognise it. Does anybody have any suggestions? Have I ordered the wrong hard drive? Has the company sent me the wrong one? How do I check these things without taking it to a shop and being ripped of? Any help please

Re: Help Needed - probably very simple

Does the capacity etc match?
    What is the exact part number of the original drive and the replacement?

You can get "spacers" to stick to the drive to increase the thickness - SSDs often come with them

Does the laptop pick up the drive in the BIOS?
    Does it plug in correctly?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Depending on the HDD capacity the thickness does vary. The first 2.5" x 750GB HDD was 13mm thick. The later ones are 9.5mm thick. From memory the SSD ones are 7mm thick.

You won't necessarily get ripped off at the computer shop. Some may charge excessive rates but other will be fair about it but your definition of a fair price may be different from mine.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you sure its definitely plugged into the socket correctly?

Does the BIOS detect that the drive has been installed?

Biggles77 is correct in that drives have different thicknesses ranging from 7mm thick to 13mm thick.

Comment

I think it maybe a different thickness because when I put it in, it is just loose. Also my old hard drive has a silver (tin foil like) strip on the side whereas my new one doesn't and seems quite exposed in comparison

Sorry if I am sounding dumb, just not very tech savvy

When I switch on the laptop it says no media (or something along those lines).

Comment

I would get a local computer shop involved - the cost of them doing it will probably be less than the stress a DiY job causes you
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by garybutler83 View Post
              I think it maybe a different thickness because when I put it in, it is just loose. Also my old hard drive has a silver (tin foil like) strip on the side whereas my new one doesn't and seems quite exposed in comparison

Sorry if I am sounding dumb, just not very tech savvy

When I switch on the laptop it says no media (or something along those lines).
              Have you re-installed Windows to the drive? If you haven't you will need to do that. Hopefully you have some recovery disks.

To check the drive is installed correctly enter the BIOS, this various from system to system but generally Del or F2 or F10 will get you there, from my experience anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by garybutler83
                When I switch on the laptop it says no media
                The no media message indicates that you do not have an operating system installed on your new hard drive.

Do you have access to a Windows XP/Vista/Win7 DVD installation disc?
                Do you have any Recovery Media that was supplied with the laptop?
                If no physical Recovery Media supplied, do you create any from the laptop when you received. There is often a small program that will burn the Recovery partition to 1 or 2 DVDs. Did you exercise that option?

If you are unable to answer these questions, can you provide the make/manufacturer and exact model of your laptop? The operating system you were running would also be of benefit to us?

How old was the laptop when the hard drive failed? If less then 12 months the hard drive will still be under warranty. Some manufacturers have a 2 year warranty on some laptops. My old ASUS had a 2 year warranty so the hard drive warranty was also 2 years.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles - It's Toshiba (not sure on the model but I think it is Satellite something). I think he said they went on sale in January 2012 so it will be 18 months - 2 years old.

Don't think I did a recovery disc. I have got a Windows 8 disc off my brother though, how would I get that onto the drive?

Comment

Originally posted by garybutler83 View Post
                    Also my old hard drive has a silver (tin foil like) strip on the side whereas my new one doesn't and seems quite exposed in comparison.
                    Sounds like the drive is mounted in some kind of tray/caddy. Very common for laptop drives.

You're probably supposed to remove that from the old drive and put it on the new drive before installing it in the laptop.

Comment

I will try to take the case off the old one and put it onto the new one and try that. If that works and it recognises the hard drive is there, how do I get windows onto it? I have a Windows 8 disc

Thank you all for your help

Comment

The silver strip covered a hole. The strip can also be a circle on the top/bottom.

To install Windows start the laptop, pop open the DVD drive and put the disk in, close the drive then turn the laptop off and on again. When you restart the laptop the installation disk will load Windows and then run through the installation routine.
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you. I will try this tonight

Failing that I think it will be a new laptop as it is just getting frustrating at the moment

Comment

I tried again last night. It still doesn't fit properly. it is very loose. I get the message no bootable device when I start the laptop. I officially give up now. I am just going to buy a new laptop

Comment

Gary, READ the posts. The new HDD has NO operating system on it therefore there is NO boot media available, hence the notice on startup. Toshiba laptops have a plate on them, usually on the underside, that will/should tell you what the exact model number is. There is NO need to buy a new laptop because you are having an issue installing the HDD.

Since it is 2012, the HDD should be the same thickness as the replacement (new) one. As suggested, there is possibly a cradle (bracket) on the old HDD that needs to be transferred to the new HDD (or the HDD transferred to it). This is then inserted into the HDD bay on the laptop. Often a screw will hold the cradle in place. You will know if you had to remove a retaining screw from the bracket/cradle to be able to extract it from the laptop.

Do you have any children or grandchildren who have friends who know a little bit about IT. Ask them to put the thing back together and install the new operating system. You can also contact Toshiba and ask them to mail you the Recovery Media for your model laptop. This will cost you a nominal amount but it does mean when the Recovery Media is run then all the laptop drivers will also be installed. You just need to run Windows Update.

Failing that, I am more than happy to pay the postage to ship your old laptop to Australia so I can get a update from my present old heap of shit.

Seriously, 2 days since posting any you are going to throw the towel in? With the model number there is a good possibility that a step by step YouTube tutorial video can be found on how to replace the HDD, BUT we need the model number. Toshiba Satellite don't cut the mustard because they have hundreds of different Satellite models and just to make our lives harder the dumbshits make them all slightly different.

If you have a digital camera, you can take photos of the id plate on the Toshiba and post it here (as long as it is in focus and image size trimmed down to below 150 to 200KB and not in BMP format). Original HDD and HDD bay photos can also help.

This really is dead shit easy to do ONCE you have done it for the first time. My first laptop HDD replacement took me about 2 hours (don't ask) and the next one was less than 10 minutes. Some are even quicker.

So, please find the exact model number and post back with it. Of course if you really want a new laptop then the postage offer still stands.
                              Last edited by biggles77; 22nd January 2015, 12:27.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X