Windows copyright and modern laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows copyright and modern laptops

The shop that repairs my PCs lost my genuine Windows 7 OS somehow. So they have burnt a copy of Win 7 onto a blank and claim if I ever reinstall Win 7 I can still use the serial numbers on the case of this PC they sold me a year ago. I thought every Win OS disc has the its own serial number encrypted. But it seems are all Windows OS disks the same for each OS, and it is really just the serial numbers that are unique and checked by MS online as genuine.

Is it still possible to connect a nice big monitor and speakers to all modern laptops and Tablets even though some are so thin now they may not accommodate a VGA Socket?

Re: Windows copyright and modern laptops

They are correct - it is the Certificate of Authenticity that is important - many computers don't include installation media, but let you burn your own

Speakers - via sound outlets or USB
    Monitor - via VGA, HDMI/DVI or at a pinch via a USBtoVGA Adaptor (if you want one, pm me as I have 2 surplus looking for a good (free) home)

There is also a "minidisplayport" (on the MS Surface for example)

Basically it comes down to the device you have
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows copyright and modern laptops

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
      The shop that repairs my PCs lost my genuine Windows 7 OS somehow. So they have burnt a copy of Win 7 onto a blank and claim if I ever reinstall Win 7 I can still use the serial numbers on the case of this PC they sold me a year ago. I thought every Win OS disc has the its own serial number encrypted. But it seems are all Windows OS disks the same for each OS, and it is really just the serial numbers that are unique and checked by MS online as genuine.

Is it still possible to connect a nice big monitor and speakers to all modern laptops and Tablets even though some are so thin now they may not accommodate a VGA Socket?
      as long as the disk they have given you is "OEM" - then yes it should install with your key on the side of your computer.
      There are of course, exceptions to this. If you have Dell, for instance, you may need a specific dell oem cd.

yes - you can connect a big monitor to a modern laptop. I have a ~2yo dell monitor that I can connect one of the blue monitor cables to this laptop. I could also connect my 40" TV using the HDMI Cable.

Obviously, it comes down to the tablet. Many tablets probably have "mini-hdmi" - so you would need a slightly more expensive mini-hdmi to hdmi adaptor, as well as a hdmi based monitor.

if you want to give me some specifics on models etc, i could maybe advise on compatibility.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X