Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA storage within VM Host

Hi,

Im looking at the best value for money vs reliability storage methods for a virtual environment. I have fellow net admins who use nearline SATA storage in hosts and Im contemplating doing the same - but Im in two minds.

I was contemplating either 10k SAS drives or the Seagate Constellation nearline sata drives. I totally appreciate that SAS is built for endurance but bearing in mind cost vs storage I keep thinking best to go for the nearline sata drives.

I've run the DellPack utility on the servers I intend on virtualising and based on these results (as Ive been told) the disk utilisation isn't massive.

So just wondering what others thoughts are??

Re: SATA storage within VM Host

I suspect, as with all things, it comes down to budget first and technical requirements second

Since most VM performance issues come from disk IO, I suggest you first do some calculations of the IOPS required for your anticipated workload and then look for the solution that offers performance closest to that but within your budget
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

On the Dpack (DellPack) that you ran, did they give you an analysis of the results? If so you should be able to see your total IOPS and 95th percentile IOPS. From that you can then plan on what disks and how many you need for storage.

As a rule of thumb you can get 90 IOPS from NS-SAS (7.5k RPM), 140 IOPS with 10k SAS, and 180 with 15k SAS. However, the specific drives can get more or less depending on the make and model.

Can you give us your IOPS as seen by the dpack?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks guys the info you gave is really appreciated. I didn't get the results as they went to a third party who I would imagine send the files to Dell as Im pretty sure its only Dell who have access to the application which shows the info from the iokit files?

I'll see if I can get the results and post them up.
        Last edited by 5habbaranks; 9th December 2014, 09:30.

Comment

Partners have access if they go through training. But the report that gets generated is to show the client. I would imagine they shouldn't have any issue giving you the results.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X