PC fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC fault

This PC using 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium will not switch off when closing using the START. Also it will not allow a Defrag by stopping during the Analysis at 87%.

A full long lasting CHKDSK failed to show any problems nor does the F8 Repair Computer option make any difference.

Any suggestion please.
    Last edited by GordonSweet; 30th November 2014, 11:14.

Re: PC fault

Use MSCONFIG to check for startup utilities etc, also try a malwarebytes scan to see if you have picked up anything nasty

If neither does any good, consider a format and reinstall
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As well as Malwarebytes, I would suggest running Hitman Pro on it as well. You get 30 days free trial.

Might be worth running sfc /scannow from an elevated (right click and Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My new Win8.1 machine went through a period of not switching off when I initiated Shutdown. The solution, which I found quite by accident and which is really weird was to leave a USB memory stick plugged in.

It worked again for about a week, then did it again. So, I left a USB stick plugged in while shutting down and it's been fine ever since.

But, really weird
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks but I doubt any malware has gotinto my PC as I always use a fully paid uo AVG. Besides I have had no complaints about anything in my emails. Also all sorts of other problems have developed at time such as refusing to open up sites or upload to my site even though I have no such problem with this PC still using Win XP

I have discovered every time I check with a more reliable defragmenter from Piriform I am constantly creating considerable defragmentaion. It actually showed 9 Gb needed defragmenting that wretched Win 7 defragmenter did not detect.

So I have taken the Win 7 PC in for repair to have all data copied over to a new SSD drive !

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            Thanks but I doubt any malware has gotinto my PC as I always use a fully paid uo AVG.
            Ah, the triumph of hope over experience

Personally, I scan regularly with 2 or 3 different malware engines as I have no faith in any single AV product, paid or free. I have on many occasions found things in MWB that other engines did not pick up - Chris, I will add your Hitman Pro to the mix
            Last edited by Ossian; 2nd December 2014, 08:09.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              Thanks but I doubt any malware has gotinto my PC as I always use a fully paid uo AVG. Besides I have had no complaints about anything in my emails. Also all sorts of other problems have developed at time such as refusing to open up sites or upload to my site even though I have no such problem with this PC still using Win XP

I have discovered every time I check with a more reliable defragmenter from Piriform I am constantly creating considerable defragmentaion. It actually showed 9 Gb needed defragmenting that wretched Win 7 defragmenter did not detect.

So I have taken the Win 7 PC in for repair to have all data copied over to a new SSD drive !
              Sites not opening/pages not displaying may be due to Internet Explorer configuration options. Make sure that the security settings are enabled for TLS and SSL and also don't forget about trying Compatibility Mode. Compatibility Mode often resolves issues with pages not displaying or not displaying properly.

Defragmentation can be a bit of a red herring. Defragmentation occurs anyway and there are those who feed the scare mongering rumour mill with ghastly descriptions of how defragmentation is ruining your PC experience. Do run a defragmenter, but don't worry about it, and you don't need to run it nearly as often as you led to believe.

AVG is one of the few AV solutions where I have seen several malware infections missed i.e. the resident scanner did not detect them until the infection had set in. Using more than one engine is recommended but do not install and run several AV solutions at once. You should have one 'resident' scanner and one or more extra 'on demand' scanners. The on demand scanners should be able to be run from a memory stick (they should not require installation).
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
                Chris, I will add your Hitman Pro to the mix
                Check out the Kickstart option on it. Allows you to boot from a USB key and run the scan. Easiest way I found to clear the Ukash virus/ransomware infection.

Gordon, that really sounds like an infection of some sort. AVG may detect some viruses but is unlikely to detect malware, spyware and other nasties like rootkits. There are a multitude of free scanners available online that can be used to thoroughly check your machine. More than happy to post links if you have trouble finding them.

A defrag program called Defraggler may be worth a look. Use the free version as I find that more than suitable. Do NOT defrag an SSD.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks again for all your advice guys, but it is now in the hands of the shop who always built them for me to my specs. I will report back here when repaired. I must point out if the problem is malware it has not spread to this on Win XP after copying umpteen files over.

Unlike a pal of mine who relies on an old 16 bit spread for his accounts and when he bought two new PCs from well known big shops as usual they failed to ask him if he wanted 64 bit Win 7.

So now he has to use an old PC with Vista to run his favorite spread !!

Comment

Working...
                  X