No announcement yet.

Desktop Power Supply info needed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Power Supply info needed

Hi All,

I have a desktop with below configuration.

Processor i7-870
    Motherboard Intel DH55TC
    RAM 16GB (1333 MHz)
    HDD two 1TB SATA drives
    DVD RW
    SMPS 500w Cooler Mater

Few days back I was cleaning my CPU Tower as there was a lot of dust with a hair dryer. I then connected the tower directly to the wallout and powered on the machine. There was a pop sound and my machine now will not power on.

I got it checked at the local store and SMPS is gone. Repair is not an option and now I need to buy a new one.

I just wanted to know can I use a 450W Corsair PSU or I need to buy 500W Cooler Master. Links mentioned below.

Re: Desktop Power Supply info needed

Fortunately there are PSU load calculators e.g.

I suspect a high quality 450W would do as well as the 500W - in general the better quality the PSU, the closer you can get to its maximum load, and Corsair has a good rep (as does Cooler Master) so it comes down to price and availability

You should also be investigating your mains power to see what might have caused the "pop" - blowing dust out of a PSU should not cause problems, although something could have been shorted out in the process

Was the hairdryer on when you connected the PC - if so it may have been the motor on the dryer upsetting the power. Do you have a UPS or power smoother between the PC and the mains?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **