No announcement yet.

Numerous Defrags needed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerous Defrags needed

I am finding my this 2 year old PC with Windows 7 needs a defrag now more often than in the past, perhaps more than once a week. Otherwise it takes ages to close down, maybe I even have to switch off the power. Although the analysis does not show a defrag is needed.

I use Windows Disk Cleanup often along with a multiple cleaner available with AVG. The only programs showing in my startup are AVG, Adobe updates and Realtek Sound manager. CHKDSK failed to show any problems to correct,

Someone has suggested Windows 7 Defrag makes considerable use of the drive but now serves little purpose. Yet it must have some use in defragging otherwise presumably it would manage to speed up closing Windows for awhile.

Re: Numerous Defrags needed

Fragmentation should not make a difference to the shutdown times, but the size of the user profile will. (create an account with a fresh profile and time shutdown compared with the one you're currently using)

Look particularly at the desktop and if possible replace items with shortcuts, also check the size of other folders. If Outlook is used, check the location of the PST file (presumably you're not using Exchange so no OST) and move it out of the profile location
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **