Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas how to test throughput?

Hi guys - me again...

We've recently had FTTP commissioned and Im convinced the router Im using is a bit naff (we cant all afford Cisco gear )

Anyway it states on the specification that this one can handle 330MBPS NAT pass-through its struggling to hit 200 MBPS yet if I plug a laptop into the modem and create a PPOE connection she flies way beyond 200MBPS pushing almost 300.

Ive raised a support call with the manufacturer but I was wondering if anyone knows or uses a method to confirm what their routers can actually handle.

Just seems a shame wasting all that bandwidth.

Thanks!

Re: Any ideas how to test throughput?

Try using iPerf to push and record traffic through the connection.

You will need to control both ends so you will have to take the device out of commission for a few hours, as you need a good throughput to measure the traffic exactly.

iperf.fr for the downloads.

openmaniak dot com/iperf.php

for tutorial.
    The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
    Always be Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by wobble_wobble View Post
      Try using iPerf to push and record traffic through the connection.

You will need to control both ends so you will have to take the device out of commission for a few hours, as you need a good throughput to measure the traffic exactly.

iperf.fr for the downloads.

openmaniak dot com/iperf.php

for tutorial.
      Thanks, as Im pushing over the WAN will I need to push externally as if that's the case I would obviously need to host the "server side" on a location where its capable of uploading the speeds to which Im trying to test the downloads?

Comment

You'll need two PC's/ Lpatops whatever is handy.
        take the router out of service, put the LAN IP on one PC and connect to the LAN side and the gateway IP on the other PC and connect to the WAN port.

Then use iPerf between the two pc's accross the router.

Make sure you test the iPerf setup in advance so you have your benchmark ahead of taking your FTP out of service.

Always be Batman.

Comment

Agree with wobble_wobble. Use iperf. Nice and simple. All you require is 2 systems setup.

1. Server - run iperf from a command propmt with iperf -s
          2. Client - run iperf from a command prompt with iperf -c <serveripaddress> -t 180 -r

You could also contact your ISP and ask if they have any speed checks that will test the line.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Agree with wobble_wobble. Use iperf. Nice and simple. All you require is 2 systems setup.

1. Server - run iperf from a command propmt with iperf -s
            2. Client - run iperf from a command prompt with iperf -c <serveripaddress> -t 180 -r

You could also contact your ISP and ask if they have any speed checks that will test the line.
            Thanks, Im still a little confused. As Im trying to measure bandwidth using iperf - say I host the client LAN side and I host the server WAN side on a PC at home. As my maximum download at home is 40Mb then am I right in thinking regardless of what I can get here its never going to go over that speed.

Like wise with the fact Im trying to prove that the router isn't hitting the specifications by that I mean I know our WAN link can hit 200Mb+ yet its only hitting 170Mb going via the router?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks
              40Mb
              Grrrrrrrrrrr.

What is the modem that you are using? It may need a firmware upgrade to meet the speed that it says it will do. Don't forget that there will be overheads that will reduce the actual speed you will get.

You appear to be getting your MBPS, Mb and mbps a little mixed up (I do too at times so Thank You Google ) so check that you are applying the correct speed to your home speed. I use this BIT Converter to compare apples to apples speeds. Copy the connection speed from your modem and NOT from what your ISP says you are getting. (When I got my ADSL2+ connection the modem said 132xx kbps. It now says 11847 kbps so quite a percentage drop)

This might be worth looking at iPerf Test Server or it may not.

Also to remember to have the appropriate ports open and forwarded to the appropriate IP.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Grrrrrrrrrrr.

What is the modem that you are using? It may need a firmware upgrade to meet the speed that it says it will do. Don't forget that there will be overheads that will reduce the actual speed you will get.

You appear to be getting your MBPS, Mb and mbps a little mixed up (I do too at times so Thank You Google ) so check that you are applying the correct speed to your home speed. I use this BIT Converter to compare apples to apples speeds. Copy the connection speed from your modem and NOT from what your ISP says you are getting. (When I got my ADSL2+ connection the modem said 132xx kbps. It now says 11847 kbps so quite a percentage drop)

This might be worth looking at iPerf Test Server or it may not.

Also to remember to have the appropriate ports open and forwarded to the appropriate IP.
                Thanks and yes I do seem to get my MB mixed up with Mb - I will try to make sure Im correct in the future.

The router Im using is a TP Link (yes I know cheap and chear-crap-ful) TL-ER6120 but it stated that it could handle the throughput and with dual WAN it was exactly what I was after, that's what I thought anyway.

Ive applied the latest firmware which didn't help and with regards to the overheads you mention, I know I can get a better throughput as I tested with a laptop plugged directly into the Openreach modem and created a PPOE connection.

And thanks for that test server you mentioned that will come in handy. As I keep trying to say to the techy at TP Link if the router thinks that it can only go to 150Mbit/s then no test is going to use a greater bandwidth, the frustrating thing is I know its there.

Comment

The specs on the device mention the NAT throughtput is 350Mbps and 130Mbps with VPN and 3DES in use.
                  tp-link dot com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-ER6120#spec
                  (can't post the url yet)

There is also mention of protection features/ firewall DDoS etc.

Therefore on a 40Mbps connection, the fastest throughput you could achieve is 5MB/s, but with overheads for connection etc, expect to overheads to be between 10 to 15% of the speed on a DSL connection, and potentially 5% for a Fibre to the home connection, so 4.5MB/s to 4MB/s.

Oddly enough 40 Mbps comes in as 300MB/min...

Now different network kit have different additional overheads; AV/ DDoS Protection, firewalls, Dynamic DNS etc. Take a look at the TPLink config and turn off all traffic management, firewalls, AV etc.
                  Then plug a PC into the WAN port with the Openreach modem IP assigned to the PC.
                  This is your 'new WAN' connection.
                  Then with a second pc, give it an internal IP as per usual (192.168.1.1 or whatever) this is your LAN PC.
                  Make sure you can ping one from the other.
                  Once you can ping both directions, run iPerf for an hour or 2 and see what happens.
                  This will give you the capabilities of the device.

If you have a limit on your upload and download, thats as fast as your connection will be, so a 40Mbps connection will not be able to transfer any more that approx 34Mbps to 36Mbps or 5MB/s and no amount of better kit on your end will change that speed.

Always be Batman.

Comment

Just for you Wobble x 2. TP-Link and with 5 posts you should be able to post links now.

Don't poo poo TP-Link too hard as they do offer a 3 year warranty and in the many years and devices I have purchased of theirs I have only return one once but they can be a tad on the slow side. Check you settings accordingly, read the manual and check them again.

To give some idea of overheads, according to my connection speed I get a theoretical 1.48MB/sec but in actual I get 1.22MB/sec. This speed has been confirmed from Microsoft, Symantec (please, no vomiting), Adobe and Apple. All max out at 1.22MB/sec. This may allow you to work out your theoretical overheads for your speeds.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      Just for you Wobble x 2. TP-Link and with 5 posts you should be able to post links now.

Don't poo poo TP-Link too hard as they do offer a 3 year warranty and in the many years and devices I have purchased of theirs I have only return one once but they can be a tad on the slow side. Check you settings accordingly, read the manual and check them again.

Nope, I won't poopoo the kit. Its all good.
                      What I was trying to say if that a 80 device or a 10k device can't change fixed speeds.
                      My own lab is held together with Netgear, Linksys and even a SMC hub.

Always be Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by wobble_wobble
                        What I was trying to say if that a 80 device or a 10k device can't change fixed speeds.
                        (my comment) and I agree totally. Don't know about the newer stuff but the Cisco 800 series used to give up to a 20% increase on the then TP Link gear. You do get what you pay for....usually.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks again guys, Im actually in the midst of sending the product back as Im convinced its not working properly (due to other issues as well as the throughput).
                          That said though and I totally accept that a speedtest doesn't show true throughput etc.

But plugging a laptop into the FTTP modem and doing a file transfer and then doing exactly the same via the TP Link with the same cables etc and transferring at far lower speeds to me is pretty much a black and white indication its struggling with the throughput?

I think I may have also confused the issue by mentioning the 40Mbps link - ignore that. That was to indicate that if I was to test externally and the maximum download of the external link was 40Mbps then obviously (and as you stated) its never going to get faster than that.
                          Current solution is to give a LRT224 a go and return to sender the TP.

Comment

Working...
                          X