Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS Storage solutions?

Hi,

Im looking to implement a NAS storage solution for an SMB Ive stumbled across a couple of options but thought Id ask if anyone can recommend one for the task.

What I'm trying to do is setup access control so it would need its own user management application and also replication\backup to an external device for redundancy.

The two Ive looked at are Lenovo Iomega ix4-300d and QNAP TS-420

I like the features available on the Lenovo but it doesn't support RAID 1 which I think is a better option than RAID 0 and a cheaper option disk wise than RAID 5.

Anyone have some suggestions please?

Thanks as always

Re: NAS Storage solutions?

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 that I use at home though it would really useful in a business environment. 4 HDD Bays, RAID 0, 1, 5 & JBODs. However the clincher in purchasing this device was the FIVE year warranty on the device (HDDs warranty will vary according to the drive).

Read the specs and judge for yourself. It isn't the cheapest but you will have 5 year peace of mind with that warranty. Just waiting for the 8TB drives to come out so I can add another couple of 4TBs when the price drops.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

a 5 year warranty is unheard of. the warranty alone might make me purchase something like that... but the RAID and JBOD functions are pretty killer also.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Got a Netgear ReadyNAS myself and very happy with it.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've got one client that has a Synology DS412+ as primary, with a DS212 as a replica.
          it's got it's own inbuilt ACL, or it can sync with AD or other LDAP.
          to be honest, it's probably a bit small for them - it's at very high load and they'd be better with an RS1812 but it wasn't specced with the growth they've experienced in the past 12 months. (doubled in size)

i have another client with a DS212 as their NAS. All their computers and phones run CloudSync, so they have the data anywhere..

i like the synos..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

For the needs of our institute we are using two Buffalo TeraStation 7000's as well as one Apple TimeCapsule 3Gb used also for temporary office files and as two-band WiFi access point. This config, along with two Windows 2012-based servers, is satisfying the planned needs for storage and backup until, say, 2018.

Comment

I use a HP N40L populated with 4 * 2TB HDD's that meets my requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                I use a HP N40L populated with 4 * 2TB HDD's that meets my requirements.
                RAID or Jobbied Wullie? Curiosity question only.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cheers guys,

I went with the ReadyNAS 104 in the end - 3 year warranty and ticks all the boxes I was after.

Thanks again

Comment

Check the max HDD it can take. There was one that maxed out at 3TB but can't remember the model.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      RAID or Jobbied Wullie? Curiosity question only.
                      Jobbied. (This has a totally different meaning for me )

I use the FreeNAS software to handle the RAIDing function.

Comment

Working...
                      X