No announcement yet.

How long can a processor last, at 90% ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can a processor last, at 90% ?

Hello,

I have a laptop and within, several vmware machines because I am taking some IT courses and need them to set up labs.

I see that this laptop (not strangely at all) is always at 90% processor level.

Can a laptop crash soon under this condition?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by loureed4; 18th August 2014, 11:44. Reason: Change the title, but I cannot.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: How long can a processor last, at 90% ?

IMHO, no - it should be able to run indefinitely at high (but not 100%) load
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Running at 90% for an extended period of time will generate a lot of heat. Components running too hot have a greater chance of failing further down the road. Laptops are very compact so this could effect other components too.
      The hotter you run things the greater the risk.
      Just my two cents.

Edit. I use PC Wizard to monitor temps. There are a lot of other programs out there that do the same thing.
      If you are interested the home page is: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html
      Generally I say full load between 50-60 and below is ok. Anything above 60 degrees is a little on the hot side. Idle temps around 20-30 degrees.
      Last edited by uk_network; 18th August 2014, 13:13.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks both.

Just wondering: If the temperature is within the normal, could it work fine at 90%? . Because it seems to me that the percentage does not matter as much as the temperature, Am I right in assuming that?

Again: Thanks a lot for your replies.
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

You should be fine.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I see. Thanks a lot UK_network.
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

If you are concerned about the temperature then you could consider using a Laptop Cooling Pad. I have used a similar one on a laptop that ran hot and it pulled the temp down to a normal range.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Biggles77, that'd be a good option, because the laptop is only one year old.

Thanks!
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Can't believe my eyes.

I have just installed a software to monitor my 2 cpu , and right now while I am writing this it says: 89 C .

I have just started the laptop half an hour ago, and this laptop is new, one year old.

Thanks a lot.

EDITION:

I have come across a link where it is indicated the max cpu temperature of my cpu:

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/...%20Dual%20Core

I found another web site also indicating that 100 C is the maxim temperature for this cpu (Amd E1-1200).

Right now the temp is 94 C.
                  Last edited by loureed4; 19th August 2014, 17:24.
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

sometimes the people/factories that put the units together buy their lithium paste in bulk and its not the highest quality, per se...

so if you had the ability and some good thermaltake Li paste, you can reapply a new layer to the CPU and GPU (if you have the graphis card in your model) to help dissipate the heat a little better.

i had a laptop that had an ATI card that got so damn hot you couldnt technically call it a LAPtop, because you had to put in on a countertop to use it for any period of time.

once getting at the GPU, i could see that there was very little paste remaining (if it was ever there in the first place!) and what was left had the viscosity of pancake syrup. no bueno...

a new application of high quality thermal paste reduced the heat from running at 89+c back down to ~73c.

plus i cleaned the fan blades on the intakes and cleaned the (fan)screens and such.

so its not so much the utilization of the CPU that will kill the part, its the heat generated by all that usage that kills the chips.
                    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I have never used Thermaltake Li paste as I have always used Artic Silver. How does it compare to the Artic Silver (sorry loureed4, going a bit here)?

If the laptop is still under warranty see if you can an extra year to the warranty, then hammer it and see if the CPU cooks. What is the idle temp? What is the CPU temp when you look at the BIOS settings? AMDs and heat are a reason I never purchase them. The Intel ones have a thermal shutdown when they get too hot.

What is the make & model of this laptop? Curious as to what runs that hot and by all accounts it should NOT be running that hot unless the CPU is under a very intense load.

I am running an i5-2540M @ around 9% load and the temp is 44C. 15% takes it up to 49C. I do not think even an AMD should be running as hot as yours, unless it is under extreme load and the room temperature is normal Spanish summer temps.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        I have never used Thermaltake Li paste as I have always used Artic Silver. How does it compare to the Artic Silver (sorry loureed4, going a bit here)?
                        i guess im just showing my age... i guess everyone prefers the artic silver these days. it actually does cool slightly better than thermal take. some people claim up to a 3c difference in as5 grease alone.

no matter what brand you choose (and i would only choose from those two) dont ever pick the radio shack kind... called volcano lava, cause thats what your heatsink is going to feel like if you brush your hand against it while your playing CoD5!

seriously, might as well use peanut oil and make some fries if your gonna use the radio shack stuff...

semi-off-topic, but kinda on-topicish sorta.

Comment

completely off-topic, but I remember being on a training course (and it wasn't actually a cisco course.)

guy was talking about a server room, the air con had gone off, something something, i don't fully remember
                          with all the shit running in the room, it kept getting hotter and hotter
                          but it all kept running.
                          Ambient temp in the room got fairly high - 60 ot 70 degrees, and then things started shutting down

apparently, according to their monitoring (temperature, not just systems) - the ambient got as high as 80 degrees. the physical temp on some of the cisco gear got up to the high 90s, but it was still doing it's thing, still working, even when all the server kit had shutdown (or overheated)
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks!

Now there is a reason for the laptop to get so hot: 5 VMWares running on it. Then it gets at 94-95 C . The maximum is 100 C according to what I read in several websites talking about my processor ( AMD Dual Core E1-1200)

My laptop: Packard Bell EasyNote TE. I bought last year , 2013.

The idle temp is okay, 50C .

I wonder: Is it too bad to be running at 94C? . Because I am studying Active Directory, Exchange and others and need these VMWares to be running on a daily basis, and most of the day, almost all day long.

Sorry for my English but, what does "hammer it and see if the CPU cooks" mean? . I am Spanish.

THANKS A LOT !
                            -
                            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post

Sorry for my English but, what does "hammer it and see if the CPU cooks" mean? . I am Spanish.

THANKS A LOT !
                              it means to put a very heavy load on it intentionally to see what happens to the temp. its called stress testing...

AIDA64: http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Comment

Working...
                              X