Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle neck , 8 GB DDR3 RAM, E1-1200 Processor

Hello,

I have a laptop. I was very happy with it when I bought it because it has 8 GB RAM, and I am training myself with VMWare, so I thought that would make the trick.

When I run 5 vms, everything slows down too much.

The processor of this machine is a Amd dual-core E1-1200 , and I think that 1200 indicates here the Mhz, 1200 Mhz, which is just too low ?

Is it a bottle neck? . It would be like driving a Ferrari in a badly-built highway, a narrow old road.

It is a frustrating experience.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: bottle neck , 8 GB DDR3 RAM, E1-1200 Processor

Your CPU is a 1400Mhz CPU according to this

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-S...r.73569.0.html

Are yuo running all VM's on a single disk along with your OS and other applications?

Is said hard disk SSD or HDD??

8GB of RAM is also a bit on the low side for running VM's. It can be done but remember your host OS and applications require access to memory as well.

Time for a new notebook i would say

Comment

You're running the host operating system, a type 2 hypervisor and 5 virtual machines. I would think the performance would not be very good.

If you're looking for a solution, implement a proper type 1 hypervisor and move your virtual machines to it.

Comment

Thanks.

Yes, the OS is running also in the same partition (same disk, same partition, because VMWare is installed in Program files folder ! ).

The disk is a regular HDD, I don't know what a SSD is , I will look into it. Would that help, to have a SSD disk?. May it be of help also to run some machines from a External USB disk?.

So, 8 GB is low for 6 VMware machines, each with 1 GB RAM ?.

I have a desktop, 2 GB RAM, and it stands/endures well 4 VMWares, and it is an old desktop, that I upgraded by installing two 1-GB memory slots.

What is "type 1 hypervisor" ? , I will google it as well.

THANKS A LOT !
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
          Thanks.

Yes, the OS is running also in the same partition (same disk, same partition, because VMWare is installed in Program files folder ! ).

The disk is a regular HDD, I don't know what a SSD is , I will look into it. Would that help, to have a SSD disk?. May it be of help also to run some machines from a External USB disk?.

So, 8 GB is low for 6 VMware machines, each with 1 GB RAM ?.

I have a desktop, 2 GB RAM, and it stands/endures well 4 VMWares, and it is an old desktop, that I upgraded by installing two 1-GB memory slots.

What is "type 1 hypervisor" ? , I will google it as well.

THANKS A LOT !
          Yes it is. Lets not forget that your OS and other applications are also trying to access the disk and memory at the same time as your VM's.

SSD is a Solid State Disk. Basically a hard disk that is made up of memory, think USB key.

A type 1 hypervisor is the actual OS, ESXi/Hyper-V, to name 2.

A type 2 hypervisor is a program that sits on a host OS. Think VMware Workstation/Virtualbox, etc.

You have 4 VM's and a guest OS running on those VM's with only 2GB of memory. What are you running in the VM's and what is the host OS?

To give you an example i have a Core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD and 500GB HDD that i run VM's on for testing. In this configuration i have maxed out my RAM and cippled my disks with maybe 6 VM's running.

Comment

Thanks a lot !! ,

So, if I got it right, I could:

1-Implement Virtualization type 1 (which I cannot, my laptop does not allow that, from what I research long ago on the internet).

2-To put in place a SSD.

wullieb1, this is what I have:

Laptop - 8 GB RAM, 1400 Mhz (bottle neck?). 4 VMwares running = ok . Five or more = struggle. (each vmware has 1 GB RAM). The host has Windows 8.

Desktop - 2 GB RAM, 1200 Mhz (old pc, XP). 3 VMWares running = ok . It goes smoother than the laptop , it is noticeable, with only 2 GB RAM.

Would it help a USB disk with several vmware machines? How would it help?, by letting the internal hard disk freer, or by easing the I/O ?.
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Unless you have USB 3, running VMs off a USB disk will create more bottlenecks - data transfer speeds will be sloooooowwww.

IMHO check fleabay for some old server hardware and splash out on that if you can - for example (not a specific recommendation) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-2950-...item5d4310c063
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot for the tip Ossian.

Sorry if I am too inquiring but:

Is it normal for a 8 GB RAM PC to be so slow with just 5 VMwares (only 1GB per vmware)?.

I mean: The other pc that I have, with just 2GB RAM, runs 3 vmware just fine (again, 1GB RAM each).

Both run an operating system (Type 2 Virtualization, VMWare Workstation)

. Thanks once more !!
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Yes, 8 GB spread out over 6 operating systems is pushing it, unless you're running XP on all 6. 1 GB of RAM is a bit low for running Windows 7, especially when they're all going to be hitting the same processor. As has been suggested already, you'd have better luck with a type 1 hypervisor, since that would be one less Windows OS running. Why your other computer runs fine with 3 VMs, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                  X