No announcement yet.

Converting FAT32 into NTFS (USB drive)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting FAT32 into NTFS (USB drive)

Hello,

I am trying to turn my usb drive into a NTFS, so I can push long files (larger than 2 GB if I am not mistaken) into it.

I read this as the steps:

1-chkdsk H: /f (I don't get any errors here)

2-Convert H: /FS:NTFS

Here, in this second step, I get this error message:

"This drive is dirty and cannot be converted. You will need to clear the dirty bit on this drive by running CHKDSK /F or allowing ATOCHK to run on it the next time you reboot"

But as I mentioned, "chkdsk /f " tells me everything is okay with my usb drive.

This USB disk is 500 GB in size and it is filled with many files, but still 200 GB of free space.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Converting FAT32 into NTFS (USB drive)

I replied to your other thread with the general syntax, which you have clearly found

Are you in a position to move everything off the drive and do a proper re-format - probably the best if you can as it will clear up any issues that might be there
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks.

I cannot take the information out because it is such a big disk and don't have enough space in another disk.

I am performing now a chkdsk /r , but it is so slow !! (2% after 30 minutes)

The information contained in the hadr disk is not so critical, so I can take the risk of a data loss.

Is it right to do a chkdsk /r ?

What I don't understand is why when I do a "chkdsk /f " it tells me everything is okay and then when "convert h: /fs:ntfs" the error message shows up, that the drive contains an error.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

First, as I was reminded by a respected colleague just recently, FAT32 file size is 4GB.

Second, BEFORE converting, BACK UP YOUR DATA because if anything goes wrong, it's gone. The data can be moved onto several different drives if necessary OR you could go an purchase a supplementary drive, make sure it is NTFS and copy data to it. Then the 500GB drive could be formatted. I NEVER have data on a single drive when the loss of it will be a major inconvenience. Critical data is usually stored on 3 different drives but then I am a bit paranoid due to almost losing my businesses financial data some years ago.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

try this:

fsutil dirty query X:
          where X: is the drive

that'll tell you if it's set
          if it is set, reboot and it should do another chkdsk for you..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel and biggles77.

biggles77, I am a bit too paranoid as well, when it comes to backups, I have always been, I store my backups in three different drives, but I consider that as a good virtue, not a a flaw.

But this drive is 500 GB and cannot be stored anywhere else at the moment. It is a brand new drive, the largest I have, the others are 250 GB or so, and don't have the money now for another one.

I have stored some things at google drive, but the other data is not that important, so I can take the risk of a data loss as I remarked in my previous post.

-----

tehcamel, I have tried what you say and cmd tells me: F: is not dirty

But even when I am told it is not dirty, I come into this loop:

1-chkdsk H: /f (I don't get any errors here)

2-Convert H: /FS:NTFS

Here, in this second step, I get this error message:

"This drive is dirty and cannot be converted. You will need to clear the dirty bit on this drive by running CHKDSK /F or allowing ATOCHK to run on it the next time you reboot"

MANY THANKS ONCE MORE !!
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Which drive letter are you working with - F: or H: ?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

"F:" . I wrote "H:" but it is "F:" .

Anyways, I don't make such mistakes....I mean hopefully.
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
                  "F:" . I wrote "H:" but it is "F:" .

Anyways, I don't make such mistakes....I mean hopefully.
                  Those who don't make mistakes never learn anything. (forget who said that.....should Google it)
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Indeed so biggles77 !!

Anyway, I am stuck with this problem.

It seems like a bucle.

The thing is the it is a new USB disk, no older than a year.
                    Thanks!!
                    Last edited by loureed4; 28th July 2014, 11:20.
                    -
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Do you have any disk utilities running that may be interfering with the check?

Have you tried converting the drive after booting into Safe Mode?
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

sorry, I said Query in my command

try "fsutil dirty set X:"
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello. thanks for your kind replies !

Blood,

No, I don't have any disk utilities running nor did I try to convert the volume in Safe mode.

Tehcamel,

I will try that ( "fsutil dirty set X:" ) but I don't have the disk here now.

When I plugged it into the other computer (where it is now) a warning popped up in Windows that a check was needed.

THANKS!
                          -
                          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                          X