Best laptop to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best laptop to buy

I've been asked this question several times. For a regular end user that doesn't really require any super high end specs what is the best laptop for them to buy?

Which manufacturers should they stay away from?

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Best laptop to buy

Far too many unknowns to give any sort of answer, I'm afraid
    First of all, where in the universe are you?
    Second, what sort of things are you doing - gaming, watching movies, video/graphics editing, web surfing, office applications..... the list is endless
    Thirdly, do you want something ultra compact, or very big, or something in between?
    Finally, do you want Windows, if so, which version

Other things to consider -- touch functionality? storage required (less if its your second computer), 3g connectivity? Domain or workgroup?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Buyer will be in the States, a lot of new users struggle with the functionality of windows 8 although the intervention of the start button in win8.1 has somewhat reduced this confusion. So probably Win7 or later. Most new purchases will come with Win8 or 8.1 so that eliminates the preference on Windows version.

Size should be in between, not too compact but not too big.

It's going to be a personal computer so domain isn't important, they can just have a workgroup based. As I stated before, any customised specs aren't a concern, users are just generally users (non gamers, no graphic editing, just general web surfing and use of regular office applications.

Thanks,

Phil

Comment

IMHO buy a medium run of the mill laptop from one of the bigger suppliers, HP, Dell, Acer, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Hi Philip
          Generally concur with Wullie - well known manufacturer
          I would have some specs and shop around - I would go with (low end/high end):
          Intel i3 or i5 2.0GHz or more
          4Gb RAM (bare minimum) to 8Gb
          500Gb or more HDD
          DVD (probably a writer too)
          15 inch display (note lower end laptops will be 1366x768 which IMHO is too small, but 1920x1080 costs a LOT more)
          64Bit OS if you are using more than 4Gb RAM

Have some specs in mind and keep looking for deals, then jump quickly when you see the right one

As an aside, you know Windows 8.1 has returned the start BUTTON, but sadly not the MENU to go with it There are lots of free additions - I use Classic Shell to give me a real start menu back
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would suggest you NOT get an i3 if you want to play videos on it unless there is a dedicated Graphic Adapter in it.

I have found with people asking what they should buy the best question to ask is how much do you have to spend. You can then ascertain what they mainly want to use it for and then adjust the components to meet the needs. Large HDD if they want storage, smaller SSD if they want speed, SSHD if they want both. I have seen a 14" screen running 1920 x 1080 and I thought that was quite adequate but best to compare the screens side by side and then choose from that.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I suggest buying a laptop is mainly the matter of personal taste. But for me only the three manufacturers are existing for serious job; these are Dell, HP and, surprisingly, Lenovo. (Yes, the Apple is exist, too, but this is not a Windows matter completely. Using Windows on Apple is a sort of using a mustang for driving mine carriages.)

All the other parameters of laptop (include size) may be picked according to the typical tasks the user plan to run on this machine.

Best regards.

Comment

Working...
              X