Drive Reformat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Reformat

I have various software such as DOS to run from a CD to do a low level format of a drive and clear everything including partitions. This of course returns the drive to the original Factory Level.

Is it true this will then be recognised by any software such as Windows or Linux to run a High Level format prior to installing such a new OS?

Re: Drive Reformat

If you clear the partitions both Windows and Linux will be able to create new partitions and then format the drive.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I already have Mint 13 installed in a separate partition to Win XP. But with the demise of XP in April next, I hope by reinstalling Mint using the whole drive it will erase both XP and the Mint partition. If not I assume by running a Quick low level format it will erase both and allow Mint 13 to install

Based on a failed attempt to install Mint 16 on an old PC where the display failed after a short while, I cannot risk installing Mint 16 in this old PC either.

Comment

What would you like to achieve?

Do you want to erase all data permanently and start with a clean hard drive? If so, remove both partitions and then create a single partition that occupies the entire drive. After you have done that you can format the partition with the file system of your choice.

If you wish to keep the existing installation of Mint then use partition management software to remove the NTFS formatted partition and extend the Linux partition so that it consumes the remainder of the available drive space.

Or

You can keep both partitions but format the NTFS partition using Mint.

FDISK can help you manage existing partitions

Or, you can use a third party program to manage the Mint partition and extend it. A quick search found GParted which is free. However, I have never used GParted so I advise you to thoroughly check it out before hand.

However, Linux can read NTFS as detailed here

Finally, as with any type of maintenance of this nature, it is essential that you have a full backup of all your data and configuration settings before you begin. One incorrect command using FDISK or any other partition management software or when formatting a drive can result in 100% data loss.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Gordon, XP isn't going to suddenly evaporate on June 30 (or is it July 31). MS is just going to stop writing security patches for it. If you are happy to keep using it then do so, just make sure you have an up to date anti virus, Malwarebytes, Spybot and a copy of HitmanPro handy. A good backup each night wouldn't go astray but that is what smart people have/do every night/day (whenever they are awake). System State backup would also be ideal as well.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I use AVG on 3 PCs. I understand the most vulnerable aspect of Win XP after April is IE. So I will continue to use XP on my spare PC, but make sure the safe Firefox is the default browser.

However I do not really need XP on a third Pc with also Mint in a partition, and I get problems at times because the Mint partition is only about 8 Gb. So I might as well use the whole 25 Gb drive for Mint.

I need it to test Programs I create with Freebasic work on a Debian Linux like Mint after suitable compilng.

Comment

Oh Gordon, it's moments like these you need mint ease.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                I use AVG on 3 PCs. I understand the most vulnerable aspect of Win XP after April is IE.
                Do you realise just how integrated IE is with XP??

Try removing it

Comment

Working...
                X