Server - Dell vs HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server - Dell vs HP

Any reasons to favor Dell or HP for a new server?

Which manufacturer is most likely to cause us less grief.

Are we likely to encounter more problems with one against the other when it comes to obtaining required drivers, or do either have management software which interferes with windows and causes problems or any other reasons you can think of.

Thanks,

Re: Server - Dell vs HP

Originally posted by Nick_C View Post
    Any reasons to favor Dell or HP for a new server?

Which manufacturer is most likely to cause us less grief.

Are we likely to encounter more problems with one against the other when it comes to obtaining required drivers, or do either have management software which interferes with windows and causes problems or any other reasons you can think of.

Thanks,
    We have used Dell servers in our org for many years.

As long as you have the correct support option then one is as good as the other, have used both support options in the past and both are good. Not sure of HP these days though.

Comment

I come from the opposite camp, having installed and serviced HP servers since the Compaq days (today's HP servers are a continuation of the Compaq line; the entire "true" HP line of server products were scrapped after the HP/Compaq merger).

I really, really like the ProLiant server series. Rugged as hell, well-designed, easy to service, and the support/provisioning software is top-notch. The professional/business PC and laptop products are very good too, but I would not recommend any of their non-business products.

HP used to make the best laser printers in the world, but not so much these days. I have customers still using 10-15 year old LaserJet printers, but newer HP printers are nowhere near as good and fail regularly. Their inkjet printers are a cruel joke to be honest, but then so are inkjets from most other manufacturers.

From the dealings I've had with HP support, they know their stuff and warranty replacements are a breeze. Mind you, I haven't had to replace many components in the 16-or-so years I've been selling and servicing servers, mostly hard drives and a few tape drives and PSUs.

In one case, I RMAed an LTO tape drive (with ten days left of the 5 year warranty) on a Thursday morning, and got a call from a nervous HP representative that same afternoon, asking if by any chance it would be acceptable if the replacement drive were to arrive on Monday. There was no rush in that particular case so I agreed, and the guy sounded quite relieved. Had I insisted on next business day delivery, they would have put a guy on a plane with the tape drive as hand luggage.

Then there was the case where the LCD screen on a laptop covered by an on-site warranty (common on some business products) developed a fault, but was still (barely) usable. The person using the laptop was on the move a lot, and it was a major inconvenience for him to come into the office. HP agreed to send a technician to his house to replace the LCD panel. At 8 o'clock in the evening. Needless to say, he was very pleased.

I'm not saying HP support is the best ever, and will always deliver a perfect result. For instance, on at least two occasions, Nvidia chipsets and GPUs have generated enough RMA requests that HP support was completely swamped, and had to outsource some of the work to third parties. I was, shall we say, less than impressed with the service provided by those companies, but the problems did nevertheless get fixed in a not-entirely-timely manner.

Comment

We've used Dell for many years and have no issues with any of their products.

From what I've read, both Dell and HP seem to be very good.

The key is making sure you choose appropriate support options when you buy the product and that you keep those options up to date - renewing them when they expire, for example. Both companies are seasoned professionals when it comes to configuration and support.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Managed HP ProLiant servers for years, mostly in the DL line, but also had a C7000 blade enclosure with some BL450c servers. Don't remember anything other than the odd hardware malfunction that all servers are subject to. Replacement parts were always very quick to arrive.

Never really cared much for HP's line of desktops, but they make some good servers.

Comment

I was half way through opening my own thread but thought I would add to this one as it seemed appropriate. Although I have had experiences of both Dell and HP Im starting to think other less popular vendors may be the way to go.

This for one specific reason - if you don't want to pay their stupidly high prices for something which you can buy way way cheaper from a 3rd party you'll get errors/problems. Now I know some of you hardcore admins will say, how can they support 3rd party hardware in their servers which is fair enough. But if there is a problem with the appliance and you take the third party part out and its still causing issues, problem solved.

My reason for this rant is two fold. Trying to buy a server from both HP and Dell without a hard drive as I wanted to buy the hard drive from a third party due to cost. It would seem from both vendors you cant do this and that you must buy at least 1 hard drive - wtf?!

And then, I decided to upgrade the ram on one of my servers. This time I get a boot error due to unsupported memory configuration dim mismatch - they were exactly the same sticks apart from one was purchased from Dell and the other from a 3rd party.

Is this not like car manufacturers selling cars and saying you can only buy petrol from such and such garage? This is ridiculous.

If you think Im being over the top or you agree please comment I would be interested to know other peoples opinions.

Rant over
            Last edited by 5habbaranks; 3rd February 2014, 08:55.

Comment

I once asked if it was possible to buy desktops without the OS. The support guy said that as they buy them in bulk, the price difference would be miniscule and that the cost of removing the OS would be greater, in real terms, than leaving it in.

As they must buy an even larger number of hard drives, I assume the same applies.

With regards to RAM, I have never added to a machine but have always replaced the entire set with compatible modules and have never encountered any issues.

Comment

Depends on the environment and type of server. If you need a production server, you need to be sure that replacement parts are quick to deliver. Downtime can be an even bigger issue than money when it comes to selecting a server brand. Some organizations will pay the extra money for a company that overnights parts.

Also, before you go off the beaten path to an obscure brand, think about community support. Some companies just don't really know what they're doing when it comes to documentation, and if you're using an off-brand, you'll likely not find a lot of people who've had your same problem. However, if your brand is ubiquitous (such as with Dell and HP), you should be able to find troves of information online.

While I'm no company man (I don't even work with physical servers anymore), there are things to consider other than cost when buying a server.

Comment

Horses for courses IME.

Dell are very easy to deal with IF you have a good account manager. E.g. buying machines without OSs becomes much easier. If you have a crap one, as we do, it's a nightmare. We are in the UK and have been switched from an Ireland-based AM to one in India.

HP are reseller based so you get what's in stock and that's it. I like their software a lot more though.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

My experience is based on supplying a small charity. We often buy just one or two machines at a time. I guess that if you buy in bulk, this is not so much of an issue for the supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                      My experience is based on supplying a small charity. We often buy just one or two machines at a time. I guess that if you buy in bulk, this is not so much of an issue for the supplier.
                      TBH with Dell anytime we've asked for no OS, we get one anyway but don't get charged for it. We don't do huge volumes of hardware, which is why we got moved from our previous account manager to the clown we've got now.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I just read that HP will start charging for firmware and driver updates.

I believe that in six months to a year I'll be able to comment on the quality of Dell support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post

I believe that in six months to a year I'll be able to comment on the quality of Dell support.
                          What?? We were just considering replacing our XP machines and one server with HP stock.

Do you have a link to this information, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                            Do you have a link to this information, please?
                            Sure, here. Unless your server is covered by warranty or a service contract, you'll have to pay HP Support for access to drivers and firmware.

And even if the product is covered by warranty/support contract, you'll still have to register the product and tie it to the company's HP Support ID.

Pretty much the same support model Cisco's using. I'm pretty sure management at Dell and Lenovo are ordering champagne as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post

Wow thats is very serious news if it actually turns out to be true. Could do with more evidence of this if you can.

Edit:
                              Found source for this -
                              http://slashdot.org/story/14/02/05/0...anty-customers
                              Last edited by Nick_C; 5th February 2014, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X