Samsung Notebook - Disk replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Notebook - Disk replacement

Need to replace the HD on my daughter Notebook. It has no CD drive. I built a bootable USB for backup with backup programs.
    This is a Samsung Notebook Model NP530U3B
    HD: Hitachi HTS545050A7E380
    500GB S-ATAII Slim Hard Drive (5400RPM) with ExpressCache 16GB

I need to replace the HD since after every boot she is getting the following warning window:
    "Windows detected a hard disk problem
    Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss and
    ......"

The HD is divided into two discs:
    Disk 0 with the System partition (100MB), partitions C, D and E
    Disk 1: [Sandisk SSD 16 GB] with two unformatted partitions - Primary Partion (10.61GB) and Hibernation Partition (4.29).

I modified the booting priority on the Notebook BIOS to have all listed USB's first, [USB HDD, USB FDD, USB CD, SATA CD) but when rebooting it was always the HD which was booting first and fast, and the Samsung Logo appearing immediately.

I installed Macrium free on the notebook and I am going to perform full backup from within Windows, (the only remaining option for the moment) but for a recovery to a new HD, if the installed one fails, I need assistance for what to modify in the BIOS to prevent this fast booting to the HD and proper booting from the USB.

I need also instructions how to partition the new HD in order to restore the backup image

Thanks

Re: Samsung Notebook - Disk replacement

ok - before we do the hard disk replacement, have you done a checkdisk as a first step ?

you're also talking about two physical hard disks by th sound of it, so we need to work out WHICH disk the failure is on so we know which one to replace..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      ok - before we do the hard disk replacement, have you done a checkdisk as a first step ?

you're also talking about two physical hard disks by th sound of it, so we need to work out WHICH disk the failure is on so we know which one to replace..
      I haven't looked up the laptop model but I have a feeling this may be an SSHD and not 2 physical HDDs.

Sammy, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty?
      Did you follow the instructions for making Recovery Media before you encountered problems? If not, are you able to make Recovery Media?
      Have you downloaded and read the manual? Does it mention what to do if the operating system needs to be reinstalled?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This appears to be the manual for the above laptop.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...Manual_eng.pdf

Page 99 shows how to change the boot order of the laptop.

Page 108 shows the method for backing up and recovery of your system.

IMO the first thing i would be doing would be to get some recovery disks made and stored away somewhere safe, unless of course Samsung provided them.

Comment

Working...
        X