Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP DL380 as workstation

Hello and thanks for reading,

We use workstation computers (several HP Z600 and Z800) for image processing. Now we'd need to purchase a couple more, but we have two spare HP DL380 with dual Xeon processors and lots of memmory. Do you believe I can add a high end Quadro graphic card, install Server 2008 and use them as a workstation?, The software we use is compatible with Server 2008.

What do you recommend for remote access, ILO?

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Re: HP DL380 as workstation

I don't see any reason why not provided they have PCI-Express slots for the graphics card

For remote access, unless you need it at boot time, I would go with RDP, especially if you can enable remote-fx graphics http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: HP DL380 as workstation

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I don't see any reason why not provided they have PCI-Express slots for the graphics card

For remote access, unless you need it at boot time, I would go with RDP, especially if you can enable remote-fx graphics http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
      Thanks a lot Ossian,

We have a simple network with ~30 clients and one SBS2008 box running all server services, including TS. I guess I'll have to disable any server service on the DL380s, and as you recommend RDP to them from the clients, this sounds great to me RemoteFX would be great!

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll test it.

Jud

Comment

Working...
      X