Dell Latitude E7440 support for Windows PE4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Latitude E7440 support for Windows PE4

This is a System Management Forum topic but due to this being more related to driver support, I have posted it here.

We need to re-image 100+ E7440 laptops via SCCM 2012 with SP1 and have an issue with the Windows PE 4 drivers, which means that the SCCM task sequence cannot start, as an IP address is not being allocated. They do PXE boot ok though and have raised this issue with Dell.

In effect, we require the Windows 7 and 8 drivers (Windows 8 x86 versions as a priority) for I218-LM. We have downloaded the Dell Windows PE 4 drivers and drivers referring to I218-LM yet when we import them, only I217-LM is listed.

In summary, we have carried out the following;

• Downloaded the Windows PE 4 CAB, E7440 Win7 and Win 8 driver CABs from the Dell website and imported them into the Task sequence and boot images

• Have imported the drivers that came with the laptop and carried out the above

• Installed the ‘Dell Client Integration Pack Version 3.1’. Note: When following the instruction to import the Windows PE drivers, we get the below;

---------------------------
    error
    The selected Dell WinPE Driver-Pack is incompatible with Boot Image
    OK

Not all of the drivers we download (even from Intel) import successfully and more importantly, the driver it should be is I218-LM and I217-LM is the only one that seems to be appearing.

Has anyone got any recommendations or recommend drivers I could try?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by Virtual; 4th October 2013, 18:48.

Re: Dell Latitude E7440 support for Windows PE4

I'm presuming that you downloaded the CAB for Win PE 4 here

http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...river-cab.aspx

Which categorically states that the Intel I2xx drivers are part of the kit.

Here is a link for the E7440 CAB files, which if i remember rightly, does not have the PE drivers in it

http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...river-cab.aspx

Possibly the same issue??

https://communities.intel.com/message/203445

Comment

Were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue with the same model laptop. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by naisynay View Post
        Were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue with the same model laptop. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
        Do you have the correct driver cab file from Dell??

Comment

Hello,
          I had the same problem with laptop DELL latitude E7440.
          This computer have a Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM controler.

When I boot on my USB SCCM 2012 media to install Windows 7 x64, I haven't IP address.

I had resolve my problem like this:

- Download the Intel official drivers, unzip and found this file:
          \driver \Pro1000\Winx64\NDIS63\e1d63x64.inf

- Add it into your SCCM custom boot image.

- Create you new USB boot media

You can find your driver like this :

- copy/past the folder of the drivers you want to test on your SCCM USB boot media

- Boot on your SCCM USB boot media you have the LAN error message. So press F8 to open the command windows.

- Go to the drivers folder

- And Load the driver you want to test with the command :
          "DRVLOAD your_file.ini"

- Type the ipconfig command, to test if you have an IP address

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone. The resolve in the end was to download drivers from Intel (as now pointed out in the post, so thanks for the info as well). When the driver is imported into SCCM it appears as I217-LM but on further review of the file, it does have I218-LM within it as well. We allowed F8 to allow us to establish whether it had an IP. I used the X86 boot image for the sequence even though we was rolling out 64 bit. I removed all drivers from it and update distribution points and then re-added the NIC drivers for Windows 8 to the boot image and updated distribution points and it then worked. Network boot worked with it.

CAB files wise, it was the one in the link below and resolved by downloading it again. It was identical in size the second time but this time worked.

We now have 20 left to reimage. 140 are already complete and allocated to users.

Comment

Working...
            X