Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect LTO drive to server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to connect LTO drive to server

    Can someone tell me how this backup device is supposed to connect to a server? I've never setup one of these and an associate of mine is looking to buy one. It's unclear to me what he'll need to connect it to the server. He has a RAID controller in his server (a small HP tower server) and it has an external connection to it, but I don't think you're supposed to connect this to a RAID controller. Maybe I'm wrong. I think he'll need to buy an add-on card, but what kind? That's where I'm stuck.

    TandbergLTO 3 HH External

    TandbergLTO 4 HH External

  • #2
    Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

    Originally posted by Thrasonic View Post
    Can someone tell me how this backup device is supposed to connect to a server? I've never setup one of these and an associate of mine is looking to buy one. It's unclear to me what he'll need to connect it to the server. He has a RAID controller in his server (a small HP tower server) and it has an external connection to it, but I don't think you're supposed to connect this to a RAID controller. Maybe I'm wrong. I think he'll need to buy an add-on card, but what kind? That's where I'm stuck.

    TandbergLTO 3 HH External

    TandbergLTO 4 HH External
    What connections does the card have on it?

    I would "presume' that it is a newer tape device and would have a SAS connection so would require a SAS card and cable or port on the server to connect it.

    Do you have a link to the tape devices your colleague is thinking of buying?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

      Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      What connections does the card have on it?

      I would "presume' that it is a newer tape device and would have a SAS connection so would require a SAS card and cable or port on the server to connect it.

      Do you have a link to the tape devices your colleague is thinking of buying?
      I can't post the make/model since I' haven't posted more than 5 times on this web site, but it's this one from Newegg.

      newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16840119042

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

        The product page states that it has a SAS interface, so that's what you need to connect it to. Call Newegg or Tandberg and find out what SAS card you can use and then order one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

          Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          The product page states that it has a SAS interface, so that's what you need to connect it to. Call Newegg or Tandberg and find out what SAS card you can use and then order one.
          Following the link to the manufacturers website states that I comes with an Ultra 320 SCSI connection as native and what i'm presuming is a SAS connection as an add-on.

          OP,

          Joe is spot on though. Contact newegg and ask for clarification about which connection is present on the device. My preference would be for the SAS connection, typically faster speeds than the Ultra 320 SCSI.

          You will need to get the connector type for the SAS connection as well as there are a number of different types. From here it states that the connection is a SFF-8088 so get a card that matches.

          http://www.tandbergdata.com/default/...s_ext_eng3.pdf

          Hopefully this will take you to the cards they have available

          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

          Please do your own research though and verify for yourself the information provided.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

            Thanks for all the help everyone. One last question...

            I'm sure there's a big speed difference between an LTO 3 or 4 tape backup system and a RDX USB 3.0 backup system. However, there seems to be about a $1,000 price difference when you add in everything (backup hardware, cartridges or tapes, and add-on cards). For a small business with 1 server and 10 users do you feel like a RDX USB 3.0 backup system would be at least an okay idea if not a good idea?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

              For 10 users/one server, I would consider a set of USB drives as the cheap and cheerful solution
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How to connect LTO drive to server

                There's the speed difference between the types but also a massive storage capacity difference. If there is a LOT of data to backup choose the capacity to suit - however, you should plan for data sprawl as the amount of data you have in 2 or 3 years time may be considerably more than what you have at present. You should aim for getting your data on one tape. Once it spans two tapes you will need to manually change the tape (unless you have an autoloader and which are really expensive).

                Having done this a couple of times I echo what has been said above. Research it - thoroughly!
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

                Comment

                Working...
                X