No announcement yet.

Build on a budget

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build on a budget

Hello gentle forum folks,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a budget server build or direct me to a previous post. In need of a small office solution to build (server hardware os not included) for $250 to $350, want it to install windows server 2008 or 2012 so compatible hardware is a must. If your gonna tell me to google it you can keep it to yourselves, what I want to know are suggestions for good medium to low end hardware that wont give microsoft windows too much to complain about and will last longer that a week under server computer conditions.

Valenski says thanx.

Re: Build on a budget

For that price I think you'll have to look at used. I'll warn you though that you'll get what you pay for. At that price don't expect the server to handle much. Maybe an office of 5 users or fewer. I've been a fan of Dell servers and they do have a sub $500 server new. No OS on it. Windows Server start at around $800. You can probably get it for less if you go with OEM.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

how important is reliability, warranty and support for the server?

if this is a budget you've been given by management, or a client, ask them, politely and seriously, what the cost to their business will be if this server is offline for the following periods:

4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week.

Now, ask them if they still want to only spend $300 on a server when the outage cost to th business will be $X0000.

Now, convince them to spend a proper amount of money and buy something suitable that will manage the risk of an outage.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks for your replies

With microsoft server OS at $800+ and they are terrified of using any other OS but windows they are definatly reconsiding but I think I'll take it as a challenge as something to do in my spare time.