Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed OS RAID on HP ML330 G6 - Am I right in thinking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed OS RAID on HP ML330 G6 - Am I right in thinking...

Hi Guys,

As the subject says, Ive had a drive fail over night and have replaced it. Its a mirrored OS drive, Im right in thinking I need to use the HP array software to rebuild the RAID drives? Its also complaining about wrong size drive - but I thought you can have different sized drives?

Thanks as always

Re: Failed OS RAID on HP ML330 G6 - Am I right in thinking...

Is the new drive at least the same size as the failed one?
    If so, it should make use of it.

Not familiar with the HP software, but other enterprise RAID controllers do a rebuild automatically if they can -- I don't see any harm in forcing a rebuild using the software

[EDIT - not all drives of allegedly the same size are equal -- I have seen a 3-5% difference in actual capacity, which can cause problems with RAID]
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Is the new drive at least the same size as the failed one?
      If so, it should make use of it.

Not familiar with the HP software, but other enterprise RAID controllers do a rebuild automatically if they can -- I don't see any harm in forcing a rebuild using the software

[EDIT - not all drives of allegedly the same size are equal -- I have seen a 3-5% difference in actual capacity, which can cause problems with RAID]
      Thanks for the quick reply... My impression was as long as the replacement drive is the same if not more then all should be good.

Im starting to think either the software is required to rebuild OR the actual raid controller has failed as any drive I put in is coming up as failed.

Just burning the ISO and see if the config utility makes any difference

Other than that its a loooong weekend for me

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
        not all drives of allegedly the same size are equal
        All drives are equal but some drives are more equal than others.

Depending on the drive, you it may require a firmware upgrade. This was a problem with some Seagate 750GB HDDs some time ago when they wouldn't mirror with other identical 750GB Seagate HDDs.

Does the documentation mention anything about the drives needing to be identical. Can't remember the brand but one Server I looked after required the identical drive model number or it wouldn't play nice. Again this was some time ago but I have zero time with HP Servers so who knows.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          All drives are equal but some drives are more equal than others.

Depending on the drive, you it may require a firmware upgrade. This was a problem with some Seagate 750GB HDDs some time ago when they wouldn't mirror with other identical 750GB Seagate HDDs.

Does the documentation mention anything about the drives needing to be identical. Can't remember the brand but one Server I looked after required the identical drive model number or it wouldn't play nice. Again this was some time ago but I have zero time with HP Servers so who knows.

Thanks for your info... I'm bamboozled. So I contacted HP support confirming that I can replace the drives with un-identical sizes to which they said yes, This didn't work.

I re-enabled the logical drives which had been flagged as disabled and managed to boot into Windows - for about 5 minutes then it restarted again and came up with the exact same error that a drive failed. If I re-enable it Windows boots fine. So Ive now upgraded the firmware on the RAID controller and the server has been up for about 1 hour - with both the original drives in the server.

The only reason I thought the drive failed is because the server told me so :S I sent the diagnostic over to HP who said its configured as RAID 1 (yes I know) 1 drive has failed (no sheet shirlock) but the server "should boot ok" it doesn't with only 1 drive in.

SO Im none the wiser really, Im going to reboot again and see if it still reports a failed drive. Who said IT was easy

Again thanks for any input from you all

Comment

Ok so... It would potentially seem there was nothing wrong with the disks and it was as I suspected originally the RAID controller. Im rebuilding the RAID array as we speak and the server is booting fine. What I will do to make doubly sure is once this array has been rebuilt swap the other drive over with a new one just to cover all angles.

I must say I am really disappointed with HP. They told me I would need to re-configure the array and then restore from backup which wasn't/hasn't been necessary at all.

Its a good job I persisted with trouble shooting as this server is SBS so it would have been a real ball ache to get everything going again - time wise.
            Does anyone have any points I need to consider at all please? Im guessing the rebuild of the array (250GB drives only 110GB used) will take a day or so. I also used none HP drives - would you say this is a no no?
            Again I really appreciate feedback\replies, its always handy when your in a situation like this one

Comment

Working...
            X