moving DC servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving DC servers

What all do you guys use to move servers in your DC? To rack them? What about large scale server migrations?

Re: moving DC servers

i'm not quite sure I understand your question.

Almost all the physical DC's i've ever racked have been 1RU servers - so the equipment used is two humans.

most newer servers have rack arms that just slot straight in, so no tools needed.

the large scale migration I worked on in Britain we used screw drivers to unscrew them, humans to remove and stack them on trolleys.
    that's about all..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Depends on what you mean.

Single servers are a pull out/unscrew and move.

Racks of server are a disconnect from power and move the entire rack.

Comment

I'm sure I remember a story of someone moving a whole rack without shutdown etc with a combination of multiple PSUs and long extension/Ethernet cables. A quick has failed to find it, though...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I'm sure I remember a story of someone moving a whole rack without shutdown etc with a combination of multiple PSUs and long extension/Ethernet cables. A quick has failed to find it, though...
          Was that the one where they went on a train or bus??

Used UPS's to keep the power going and a wireless dongle to keep access working?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Was that the one where they went on a train or bus??

Used UPS's to keep the power going and a wireless dongle to keep access working?
            that's the one. some german guys had a webserver with an uptime of god knows what
            so they hacked a power supply into it, hacked one onto a ups, then put it on a trolley, covered it with a plastic tarp (due to the rain) and moved it to teh new data center
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              that's the one. some german guys had a webserver with an uptime of god knows what
              so they hacked a power supply into it, hacked one onto a ups, then put it on a trolley, covered it with a plastic tarp (due to the rain) and moved it to teh new data center
              This one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ5MA685ApE

Comment

Sorry about the delayed response. I was referring to heavier data center migrations. At this point we have to depopulate entire chassis which takes a significant amount of time, is there anything that can get the job done quicker? What about when something bulky has to be installed higher up?

Comment

Originally posted by pwrtech View Post
                  Sorry about the delayed response. I was referring to heavier data center migrations. At this point we have to depopulate entire chassis which takes a significant amount of time, is there anything that can get the job done quicker? What about when something bulky has to be installed higher up?
                  Not to be funny but there is nothing quick about removing servers from the rack.

More hands make light work.

In reality, and I have done this, once all your cables are removed and labelled correctly (the longest part of the job IMO) you should be able to remove all the servers from the rack in less than 30 mins, depending on how many servers are installed in the rack.

What manufacturer are you using in your DC??

Comment

Don't install anything bulky higher up, unless you like back pain.

I always use Excel to draw a plan in advance of what is going where, to ensure that there is enough space and to ensure that no-one does something silly like install a UPS at the top (Yes, I have seen this!), and labeling everything as you remove it is essential.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm late to the game but things like http://www.serverlift.com/ make it possible to put bulky stuff wherever you need.

A bit but one time I was helping a client move locations across a parking lot to a different building. I ask their internal sys admin (with a few other guys) to move the remaining equipment over. He asked if he could leave it in the rack... I said sure. There was an APC SmartUPS 5000, NetApp 2020 with a couple shelves, and maybe a server or two. Well the admin decided that since the UPS was being moved then he could just leave everything running... which he did.

There were only a few rumble strips in the path they had to take. When I saw the rack going by with the fans blowing my jaw hit the floor. We had to replace one drive in the NetApp but everything else made it OK. I've learned to be a bit more specific when giving instructions.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Pictures or it didn't happen
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I wish! I would give anything for pictures of that.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X