No announcement yet.

Dell Servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Servers

Hi all

Sorry to be a pain, I am looking to build a Dell server and have always used HP or IBM. Usually there is a manager/setup disk that is available that allows RAID configs etc but cannot seem to find something similar for Dell.

I dont mind using the BIOS and Boot Manager but wondered if I am missing a trick?

Re: Dell Servers

I suppose it depends on which server, but you should either get bootable media or a startup option to configure the system
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

If you are looking for something similar to HP's SmartStart and firmware update CD then Dell's equivelents are called "Dell Windows OS install support" and "Systems build & update utility".

Both should be available via the drivers & downloads section for your server.

If it's a new Dell server you can use the Lifecycle Controller to configure RAID and install the OS. The Lifecycle Controller is available during POST.

Be warned: the Dell lifecycle routine is not very stable. Just bought 4 new R720 machines for Hyper-V hosting, and the Lifecycle software wouldn't accept the license key for our Server 2012 Datacenter edition installs. All media was commercially-produced from Dell and Microsoft, and the keys were from our MS Volume License subscription. When we did just the OS install and manual driver loads, it all runs fine.

If it doesn't work from the off, don't waste a lot of time trying to 'fix' it. Do it the 'old-fashioned way' and move on.
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Thanks all for your replies