• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Power Off

Hi,

I am looking for a way to either:

1. Turn off monitor automatically if its not in use
    2. Pop up warning to user when they undock laptop to turn off their monitor too.

The monitors we have are dell 2009W

Re: Monitor Power Off

Originally posted by zarg View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a way to either:

1. Turn off monitor automatically if its not in use
    2. Pop up warning to user when they undock laptop to turn off their monitor too.

The monitors we have are dell 2009W
    Most modern monitors will go into sleep mode after a specified time.

Where do you want the pop up to happen?? If the laptop is undocked it's screen is typically closed.

Comment

When the monitors go into standby, they draw 2w of power which is good but when multiplied by 1,000s of monitors.... it all adds up!

They will need to open the screen at some point, the facilities dept wants some visual warnings.

Open to any better ideas.
      Last edited by zarg; 21st March 2013, 12:32. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by zarg View Post
        When the monitors go into standby, they draw 2w of power which is good but when multiplied by 1,000s of monitors.... it all adds up!

They will need to open the screen at some point, the facilities dept wants some visual warnings.

Open to any better ideas.
        Post it note or a label of some sort on the screen is about the only sure way of knowing that they are aware of it. I don't think there is anything other than a possible shutdown script that runs when a user shuts down. Problem being that they may just undock without shutting down.

The only real way of ensuring that the monitors get turned off is to have some sort of system in place that can monitor the power being drawn at the plug source that will then shutdown the wall outlet when it detects below a certain value, i.e 5W.

Please see this site for potential solutions to your problem.

http://www.wattstopper.com/

Comment

Working...
        X