confusion about RAID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confusion about RAID

i have some confusion regarding RAID, i know some basics about RAID 0, 1, 5 but unfortunately i never used in practical life not configure and install by myself , for RAID 0 and Raid 1 i know at least two hard drive require and for for raid5 minimum 3......

if i configure a RAID 0 / 1 , can i install OS on the same hard drive....or i have to use another hard drive just for OS and RAID only for Data...

Re: confusion about RAID

assuming that you have the necessary drivers that allow the OS to 'see' the LUN created by the scsi controller, then there is no reason you wouldnt be able to do so. and no, you wouldnt have to separate the OS from the data, per se...

there will be certain benefits by properly configuring a RAID setup, but its very dependent on what the server is being used for. there are pro's to having a separate drive for an SQL dB or something similar, but would a BDC in a small company see improvement? not likely, so its important to do a cost of disk space versus what do i really need analysis before you define your LUNs, otherwise get good with backups...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Moved to hardware forum as not really much to do with networking.

You can install an OS on a RAIDED drive if you want to -- RAID 0 (uh oh) is a bad idea as any drive failure wipes everything, but RAID 1 or 5 are standard for OSes as well as data.

There is hardware RAID (configured below the OS level) or software RAID, managed by Windows -- hw is preferred as it is less resource intensive.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sikandarht View Post
        i have some confusion regarding RAID, i know some basics about RAID 0, 1, 5 but unfortunately i never used in practical life not configure and install by myself , for RAID 0 and Raid 1 i know at least two hard drive require and for for raid5 minimum 3......

if i configure a RAID 0 / 1 , can i install OS on the same hard drive....or i have to use another hard drive just for OS and RAID only for Data...
        Couple of different ways of implementing RAID arrays.

Hardware RAID

Typically this is done by a card, can be either onboard or as a separate card, and is configured during the systems boot cycle or via software that can be installed on the system afterwards.

Software RAID

This is usually configured by the OS.

As long as you have the correct drivers for the OS you can install it on any RAID system.

Rather than me type out all of the info you need please review

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Comment

""""Thanks All of You ! """""

OK i have learned that OS can install on the same drives , Raid 1 , 5 .

But my question is if any drive fail, how would i know which drive fail...lets say i have a hardware Raid installed on the server With RAID 5, if any hard drive fail, how to trace, and just by replacing identical drive will resolve my problem.....
          no data loss , OS damage will occur.??? or something will compromise?

Comment

Any decent RAID controller will include some monitoring software and should alert you to failures - with RAID 5 you notice an immediate slowdown anyway.

Again, a good controller should repair automatically if you plug in a replacement drive but some may require a manual repair, either in the BIOS or using a windows application
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One thing to mention about using RAID, always use a Hot Swap option. Client just purchased a Server and decided to save themselves $80 for the HotSwap option.

To explain sikandarht, HotSwap is where you can remove the faulty HDD while the Server is still running so you get ZERO downtime. Of course if you have your O/S on a RAID 1 and you pull the wrong HDD then you shall get downtime. Google HotSwap for further info and come back if you ave more questions.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X