Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouw own server

Dear all,
    i wanna build my own server for small business, i need your advise about Motherboard and CPU, and memorys,
    of course it depend on how much i want to spend,
    but i am open for more idea's

thank you

Re: Bouw own server

Far too many unknowns to say really, but IMHO you would be better buying server class hardware from a reputable vendor (Dell, HP or others) and take advantage of much higher quality, better warranty and better support than a "consumer grade" system

In terms of specs, however, you are looking at a MoBo supporting a decent (probably Intel) processor and (IMHO) 4 slots forup to 32Gb RAM. RAID is, obviously, a must
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

redundant power supplies as well.
      if you'tre building a server, get a SERVER Grade board, there's huge differences between even a high-end consumer/prosumer board and a server board.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Far too many unknowns to say really, but IMHO you would be better buying server class hardware from a reputable vendor (Dell, HP or others) and take advantage of much higher quality, better warranty and better support than a "consumer grade" system

In terms of specs, however, you are looking at a MoBo supporting a decent (probably Intel) processor and (IMHO) 4 slots forup to 32Gb RAM. RAID is, obviously, a must
        Thank you Ossian,
        a OEM server is big and make noise because i will having it home!
        that why i decied to build a computer that makes Les noise

Comment

Just setup an ACER AT110 F2 at a site and it is quiet AND cheap.
          Intel Xeon E3-1240 Processor (3.30 GHz - 8M Cache
          16GB RAM DDR3 - 1333 Unbuffered ECC (can take 32GB)
          2 x 2TB SATA HDD (can take 4 HDDs, SAS if required but adds significantly to the price)
          Onboard RAID 3Gb with 0, 1, 5 & 1+0 (additional RAID CRTRL for 6Gb drives)
          4 back and 2 front USB 2.0 (but no USB 3.0)
          450W PSU (single so no hot swap)
          We got a next day 4 year warranty
          Cost AUD $1,440

The extra year warranty increased the price by $210 but if you wanted to keep the price down buy without drives and add WD Greens. It really depends on what you want to use it for. You mention for a small business but you will be hosting it at home.

I am presently running an Acer Altos G540 Mk2, 600W hot swap PSU, 4GB RAM, 2 x 160GB SATA HDDs RAID 1, 6 x 500GB SATA RAID 5 and unless it is booting up and the fans get very excited, I cannot hear it in the next room. I am 15 feet away from it now with the door to the office open and the bloody fridge is making more noise.

Don't fall for the false economics of buying a Server Board and adding the bits yourself. I inherited a machine like that at a site i have just taken over and it is a piece of crap. Do as is suggested above and look at a REAL Server. Just make sure you get pleanty of RAM so you can add VMs galore at a later stage. Server 2012 would be my Server O/S of choice if you are looking at VMs.

You could even install the free MS Hyper-V 2012 and then install the operating systems you want all in Virtual mode. Had that running on a Dell GX 620 PC with 2GB RAM WITH 2 x Server 2008 R2 VMs running at the same time.

Look around for some real Servers. Are the HP Micros still available? Now they worked and were cheap. Do NOT buy the 1RU Dell Rack Mounts. Their fans make Anna Kournikova sound like a squeeky mouse.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X