Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DELL poweredge rack server rack rail compatibility

Hi guys

I have a Dell poweredge rackserver Poweredge 2950 and i am upgrading very soon to the dell poweredge R420 server also rack server.

Now, i dont want to create more work and put in new rails, but rather want to use the old one's currently used by the poweredge 2950 server. So my question is as follow. Are these rackrails compatible with all poweredge servers? Or do i need to install the new rails for the new server

thanks
    H

Re: DELL poweredge rack server rack rail compatibility

I would expect them to be common, but best to ask Dell directly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you will most likely need new rails, we did when moving from poweredge 1950 to R610, as per below check with dell to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by henkl View Post
        Hi guys

I have a Dell poweredge rackserver Poweredge 2950 and i am upgrading very soon to the dell poweredge R420 server also rack server.

Now, i dont want to create more work and put in new rails, but rather want to use the old one's currently used by the poweredge 2950 server. So my question is as follow. Are these rackrails compatible with all poweredge servers? Or do i need to install the new rails for the new server

thanks
        H
        We went from 2950's to R710's and needed new rails.

Comment

We went from 1950's to R620's and needed new rails.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.
            I phoned Dell and they confirmed that the rack rails differ from the 2950 and R420

Thanks so much for the great response
            Best regards

Comment

Yes the racks rails are different. Usually when you change servers you are going to have to change your rails as well. It's a good practice to add the cost of the rails to the cost of the server and budget for it. Your other option is to purchase something like Universal Rails (Which you can get a [MOD EDIT ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED]). This will keep you from having to purchase the OEM rails, however they don't pull out with the server, they do cost half the price of the OEM rails and never have to be replaced.

[MOD EDIT]
              We do not really like new users popping up and promoting their sites in their first post. Normally this is a ban, but because there is some useful content and because I am in a good mood, you are lucky on this occasion
              [/MOD EDIT]
              Last edited by Ossian; 5th March 2013, 15:55.

Comment

Working...
              X