No announcement yet.

Lithium Battery

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery

Do some laptops avoid the need to use such as a Lithium Battery to store CMOS settings such as the time and date?

I have an old Twinhead Notebook that fails to retain the time and date. I am wondering if it is because of course due to its age the main battery no longer holds any charge. I managed to remove some of the panels underneath the laptop, but cannot see any sign a Lithium Battery.

Re: Lithium Battery

Are you refering to the CR2032 coin battery that normally trickle feeds power to the CMOS chip to hold the BIOS settings? The only Twinhead I worked on had such a coin battery and could be replaced but from memory it took some time to dismantle and find the little sucker.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Yes the little coin battery.

A pal of mine who is good at fathoming out modern gadgets has taken it. He just repaired a Wireless bell where he had to unscrew 2 bolts just to replace the coin battery.

To be fair, a laptop has a bit more internal hardware, and needs to be somewhat more robust than a wireless doorbell

Have you tried as there are often on-line documents or videos on dismantling almost any type of laptop
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **