Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEMORY / PAGE FAULTS - please help.

Hi all,

With regards to page faults, I understand the explaination of SOFT and HARD...... well mostly. HARD PAGE FAULTS, can someone clear this up.

I am right in saying when a HARD PAGE fault occurs, the system has tried to find requested data within memory, but could not... there fore the requested data needs to be pulled from disk.....

The data being "pulled from disk" does this mean either, ITS WAS FOUND IN THE PAGE FILE on disk, or IT WAS READ FROM A FILE FOR THE FIRST TIME.......

or can it mean both.

I hope this makes sense, if not I will try to explain more at later date.

Regards
    Mark Jones

Re: MEMORY / PAGE FAULTS - please help.

I have to say I have never bothered too much about the different types, but there is a good explanation on TechNet:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...ge-faults.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I have read that page earlier and it's the following lines that got me thinking.

I've cut this from the page.....

"It is also important to distinguish between hard page faults and soft page faults. Hard page faults occur when the page is not located in physical memory or a memory-mapped file created by the process (the situation we discussed above). The performance of applications will suffer when there is insufficient RAM and excessive hard page faults occur."

The section I've underlined was the part..... ok...... the first part makes sense PHYSICAL MEMORY but the second part........MEMORY MAPPED FILE.....

Does MEMORY MAPPED FILE mean pagefile? if "yes" does this mean that just opening an existing hard disk saved document would generate a HARD PAGE FAULT?

Hope this makes sense.
      Regards
      Mark Jones

Comment

AFAIK yes, soft is when the page is elsewhere in RAM or in the PF, whereas Hard is when it is not.

I am not sure about opening a document file -- I always read that as say a dependency file such as a DLL, but you have got me thinking now...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your input, I've read some other articles and spoken to others, it's clear to me now whats going on.

Regards
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X