Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Monitor Display?

Hi,

I have a GTX470 graphics card and two monitors, a Dell 30" and an IBM 19" but I've just bought 2 additional Dell 20" monitors (which entirely un-coincidentally rotate and, when rotated, are the exact same size as the 30") which I plan to run as a triple monitor setup (the 2 x 20" monitors flanking the 20").

The GTX470 has two DVI-D ports and my system board (Asus P8Z77-V) has a DVI-D port so I can almost certainly (not 100% sure) run all three monitors simultaneously but I would like to know if anyone can suggest a better solution since I'm guessing the system board DVI-D is not super-powerful, may not even be compatible (in terms of running at the same time ... I have a spare monitor so I'll test that later).

Maybe what I already have will work AOK but I'm looking at 3 monitor capable graphics cards or the addition of a second graphics if that seems the better solution.

As always, any advice appreciated

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Triple Monitor Display?

Ordinarily, an on-board graphics chipset will be disabled when an aftermarket graphics card is inserted, unless the chipset is advertised to work hand-in-hand with the inserted card. One caveat is that both chipsets (mainboard & card) have to be the same manufacturer (i.e. ATI Crossfire-capable) and the installed driver has to support this.

Prob. a lot simpler to use a pair of cards to do what you want. Best to get 2 of the same make, if your board has the sockets.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Re: Triple Monitor Display?

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      Ordinarily, an on-board graphics chipset will be disabled when an aftermarket graphics card is inserted, unless the chipset is advertised to work hand-in-hand with the inserted card. One caveat is that both chipsets (mainboard & card) have to be the same manufacturer (i.e. ATI Crossfire-capable) and the installed driver has to support this.

Prob. a lot simpler to use a pair of cards to do what you want. Best to get 2 of the same make, if your board has the sockets.
      Thanks for the advice ... I went ahead and tried anyway (for expense reasons) and, although it wasn't easy, it turns out it can be done. I bought a couple of 5m DVI-D leads (because my monitor set-up is on the opposite side of the desk to the PC) and attached my 30" and one of the 20" screens to my GTX 470 and the other 20" to my mainboard DVI-D.

The system didn't automatically recognise the new monitor so, first of all (as you say), it turned out the onboard graphics switch off when another video cared is added but that can be over-ridden in the system BIOS. Second install the drivers ... at that point my system went kinda nuts but eventually I settled it down (I suspect as much by luck as anything) and using the Windows 7 screen resolution configuration utility was able to configure the monitors to match their physical state (a 20" to each side of the 30"). Finally, since the monitors rotate and that was what I wanted, I physically rotated the displays and (again using the windows utility) rotated those displays to match.

Worth noting that the nVidia configuration utility could only configure those monitors attached to the GTX 470 (apparently sometimes that isn't so) and that mucking about with this or the onboard graphics driver utilities sent the systems into the machine equivalent of a panic attack ... I found it best to stick with Windows' own utility even though both driver utilities offered similar functionality. It also turns out that the screens themselves have a rotate capability in their own BIOS's.

My gut feeling is that two similar graphics cards would offer a better solution but at least I know this way works.

Thx

Keke
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X