Servers conflicting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servers conflicting?

I used another server (server1) to build a 2008R2, I've now got the other server up with 2008 (server2) and experienced a few little querks. Would there be anything that could cause both of them to conflict with each other.

Server1 now has it's original disks back in (svr2008 r2)

Server2 has the disks in that were built using server1 (only the OS)

It seemed to start after I changed the IP address on server2 (could be coincidental), RDP kept dropping, so I downed the server, rebooted server2 and everything seemed fine for several hours.

Brought server1 back up and then it started to have rdp disconnections, slowness, etc.

I've checked the usual IP settings, nothing there.

Any thoughts?

Re: Servers conflicting?

Just noticed that IPv6 is ticked on both servers, so we've unselected it. I have seen siomething like this before when enabled so I'm hoping it could be that.

We'll see...

Comment

Its not just the IP, its the SID, especially if the build was a domain member before copying.
      You could try a domain disjoin/rejoin but if that doesnt work, a proper rebuild may be required

IP6 should not come into it and with 2008R2 is best enabled
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It wasn't a member server prior to moving the Hard Disk. Just to make it clear though, I configured Windows on one piece of hardware, then removed the HD and placed it into the other hardware, both DL380 G4, I never copied anything.

I was experiencing no issues before I changed the IP and deleted the relevant DNS records to speed things up.
        Last edited by marcopolo; 14th November 2012, 10:19.

Comment

si the same problem happening with both servers, or just one?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Seemed to be both, the server I used to build the OS has been off for the last week and no issues, since I unselected the IP6 I'm going to power it up and see if it impacts RDP on the other.

Comment

Ok, booted up server1 and instantly had issues with server2, RDP intermittent and even Ping was a mixture of reply/timeout.

Tried Pinging server1, no response and RDP failed.

Powered down server1, 4 success Ping replies from server2 immediately.

Can't say I've ever experienced this before

Comment

Remove the network card and reboot the server, then reinstall the network card and try again... or better yet replace the network card with another one.

Each network interface card is represented by a GUID in the registry. I've had flaky networking problems when I've done what you've done because of the NIC.

You should always run Sysprep when doing this type of thing. One of the steps that Sysprep performs is cleaning out the hardware config from the source image and running mini setup on the target to rebuild the hardware tree.

Comment

Thanks, I had a feeling it was something AD related (SID or GUID) and didn't cross my mind to sysprep because I hadn't joined it to the domain. Is there an alternative since the NCS's are hard wired, is there a GUID reset tool you're aware of?

Comment

Uninstalling the NIC in Device Manager may be enough. Windows should reinstall the NIC and drivers automatically upon reboot, which hopefully will generate a new GUID.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      Uninstalling the NIC in Device Manager may be enough. Windows should reinstall the NIC and drivers automatically upon reboot, which hopefully will generate a new GUID.
                      Just done that because the only thing I could think of doing, I'll update tomorrow.

Comment

Ok I did that and it had no affect unfortunately.

The process I ran was to remove NIC cables, boot and disolve the teaming, delete the two NIC entries in device manager (no to delete drivers) and reboot.

re-setup the teaming and configured the IP4 details, shutdown and reboot.

I setup ping windows for both servers and as soon as server1 established its NIC the pings started their usual failure nature.

Any other thoughts, in the meantime I'll crack on looking around

Comment

Have you checked the MAC addresses on the servers?
                          Cards should* have unique ones, but maybe the teaming doesn't

*I have, at least once, been caught by cheap (home grade) NiCs where a batch have identical MAC addresses
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry if I've missed this but you say you've changed the IP, have you checked they aren't on the same IP (maybe multiple IP addresses on the NIC or something like IIS?). I would also check the MAC addresses (use ipconfig /all and maybe post it here?)

Doh, Ossian beat me..
                            Last edited by AndyJG247; 22nd November 2012, 11:29. Reason: Beaten to it
                            cheers
                            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No duplicate IP's, but I can tell you that both team connections have the same MAC, also found this

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/s.../20000006.html

On the Teaming screen I noted they were both the same so I restored the default for server2, plugged the cabels back in and they're pinging away merrily.

Thanks guys.

PS - always the simple things give the most hassle (I had the teaming interface in my face for two days)

Comment

Working...
                              X