Replacing OS on Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing OS on Server

I need to install a new OS on a server, DL 380 G4.

I have 2x36gb on array A (raid 1) which is my C: OS and D: apps. 4x300gb on array b (raid 5). I need to retain data on array b

Does anyone know if I use smartstart if I can simply over install an OS onto array a? I don'd mind if I wipe data for C:. D:

My other idea in case anything goes belly up was to replace the 2x36gb with 2x72gb and install the OS on these (space will help), but I guess I'll need to configure array a for the new drives, right?

Thoughts?

Re: Replacing OS on Server

You don't specify the OS, but you could always pull the RAID drivers off the Smartstart media and do a vanilla Windows install, injecting the drivers at the appropriate time -- that way you would be sure the data array would not be touched.
    Or pull the data drives from the controller, do a OS install, then replace the drives - the controller should pick up the same array again
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That should work, but be absolutely certain to put the data array disks back into the same slots they came out of. If you mix 'em up and turn things on, the data's gone.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll pull the raid 5 disks out so far as not to mix them up, replace the 2x36 with 2x72 and then boot up with smartstart.

Btw server is currently 2003, replacing with 2008 r2

Comment

Put the 72GB disks in, the smaller ones aren't going to be enough for 2008 R2.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I think he is doing that....
            Agree that 36Gb is on the small size, but it is not impossibly so. I have a virtual 2008R2 WSUS server with SQL 2008R2 on the C drive, and a 4GB WSUS database (also on C), all in about 18GB. Of course I have the remains of a 100+GB VHD still available
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yep, using the 72's, wanted more space.

Doing it a slightly different way, I have an identical test server so I'll build the OS on that, then move the drives over.

Comment

I think MS best practice is 40GB plus the initial install is fine on smaller disk just over time the winsxs folder folder grows significantly. Just figured it would be better to avoid problems in the future. I did miss the update saying he was swapping them tho!
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Cheers guys, it's all useful info at the end of the day. That said if I config the 2x72 (10k) in my test server and move them to the live server (currently 2 x 72 15k), I suspect I'll have to configure the array as so won't I?

Comment

Ok, just tried it on the test server, plugged the array b disks back in and it reported that the array position had changed. My question is do I boot into the array utility during boot or could I but 2008 and then insert the array b disks?

Comment

Ok, OS is up and runnng but I'm not too sure how to get the existing raid5 drives (keeping data) working as array b as they were before.

I've plugged the drives in and they are seen by the ACU

Do I need to create a new array, and will it add the drives and keep data intact?

Comment

Ok, after a reboot the raid 5 array by is now shown as I would expect in the ACU (array b) but still not shown in Windows

Looking at the Disk Management, I can see Disk 0 as the 72gb (basic) but also a dynamic Disk 1 labelled as Foriegn.

Is this the raid 5 (E I had but requiring import?

Comment

Ok, sorted.

Comment

Working...
                          X