Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Server - RAID 1 OS and RAID 10 Data?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server - RAID 1 OS and RAID 10 Data?

Hi all,

Looking to implement a new server - just wondering what the general rule people tend to use is. Do you mirror your OS and then RAID (in my case 10) your data on a separate RAID? Or do you setup your RAID (in my case 10) and then partition your OS separate to your data?

Thanks

Re: New Server - RAID 1 OS and RAID 10 Data?

Really need more information (storage capacity, server roles etc) but in general as you say:
    OS -- mirror
    Data -- separate RAID array with some redundancy

Trouble is with large drives the OS mirror will have "wasted" space
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah cool, its literally going to be an additional file server and potentially host the AV console. As you say it'll be roughly a pair of 250gb drives for the OS - but I would say storage is so cheap these days its not really a problem.

Comment

In which case, I would personally go for RAID1 + RAID5 (capacity over performance)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How about RAID 1 + RAID 6 (the 6 for extra redundancy)
          11 was a racehorse.
          22 was 12
          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** ************************************************** *******
          ************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Comment

Storage isnt really an issue ( I think last count we had 300GB) so based on what Ive read and to be honest performance is required more so than capacity RAID 10 is what I'll go for. The drives in question are SATA 7200's so again nothing super.

Comment

Working...
            X