Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch Screens?

OK, I have what is probably a really dumb question

What components make up a touchscreen? Iíll try and explain my question Ö on eBay I see touchscreen kits that appear to be something you stick or fit over an existing screen and I see some, like this one, that seem to be a complete screen with touch capability (displays images AND is a touch screen).

Another question Ö I have a Raspberry Pi which has HDMI output. What would I need to put between that and an LCD screen to get it to display an image?

If anyone can answer any of these Iíd be most grateful

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Touch Screens?

Two components, an LCD like you have on a standard display and a digitizer, which is the part that translates your touches into input. On an overlay or retrofit kit there'll be a controller board of some sort as well, as a standard laptop won't know how to deal with the input.

Some touch screens will have those 2 components in one, for slimness. Many mobile phones have them separate, like my HTC Trophy.

Have a look at this link for the ultimate in modding the Asus EEE PC, including a retrofit touchscreen.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Touch Screens?

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Have a look at this link for the ultimate in modding the Asus EEE PC, including a retrofit touchscreen.
      Thx for that ... modding is exactly what I am thinking of having a go at. In short I had bought a11.6" tablet for £150 (a JooJoo Fusion Garage) and was going to upgrade it to 128GB SSD because it was Intel Atom powered and could be upgraded to Win 8 (I was also going to upgrade the memory to 4GB but I'm not sure that's possible for the class of atom CPU and chipset involved). I already have a Google Nexus 7 already but the thing is I'm really not that blown away by it Ö I mean yes preferable to Apple (not quite over-my-dead-body though Iím sure you get the drift) but I can only do whatever anyone else makes an app for, canít use it effectively for office work and nothing I really want to use will run on it. More to the point I suppose is I canít really get under the hood and start customising things the way I usually do Ö I simply donít understand how Android works (in part because Iím a brain-damaged Windows tech, LOL).

Anyway, long story short the guy never sent it and refunded me Ö he said it was failing to charge and was in with the helpdesk (from the timing paucity of communications I suspect someone else had been watching the auction and made a higher offer outside of eBay so that was disappointing as I thought buying it and upgrading it sounded like fun. But Iíve got the bug now Ö I really want a Windows or Linux based tablet (a true PC tablet that I can do want I want with and afterwards, searching around the net I found a guy whoíd made what he called a carbon-fibre tablet and that intrigued me Ö I like a proper operating system (Windows preferably but Linux is OK too), one I can install things on, do things with. Iím also not terribly into small; small phones fine when they were just phones but now they have internet capability I want big so the phones that appeal now are ones with a 4 or 5Ē screen. A 7Ē screen is fine for a Kindle (even then I rather like the Kindle DX which isnít available in the UK) but not so good for an Android tablet (10Ē is better) but 12Ē is better IMO and since reading the carbon-fibre tablet article I have started to wonder if I could do something similar, perhaps even a bit bigger. I mean I love the idea of a touchscreen tablet but I would genuinely prefer a bigger tablet (even if itís a lot heavier) and, hell, it would be great fun to give it a try wouldnít it?

Iím not even sure I need to buy a PC because my daughter has a somewhat poorly cared for 17Ē laptop, the screen is fine, the motherboard needs some work (probably have to resolder some USB ports but I think that might be doable). In addition to that thereís also the Raspberry Pi possibility Ö I bought one of these when they first came out (with case, PSU & Debian SD boot cost less than £50), switched it on, though thatís nice and never used it since. Maybe that could be adapted?

So thatís where Iím at right now Ö really excited at the possibility of building a tablet PC & researching the possibilities so again, thanks for the link, Iíve scanned it and will read it properly later.

Keke
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X