No announcement yet.

1st server for small office

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st server for small office

Could anyone help me with a recommendation for a server setup for a small office consisting of 7 computers right now.

Basically I guess a server for centralized file and print management and backups of desktop/laptop computers?

Dell t110 or t320 or is a hp microserver good enough for this task? Future expansion needs to taken into consideration of course.

SBS server 2011 standard or Server 2008 R2 standard would be the better choice?

Again basic centralized resource management (AD domain environment, DNS) for a small office of about 7 computers presently with possibility of maybe 2 or 3 additional in the next year or so maybe more.

Re: 1st server for small office

IMHO SBS 2011 as you get
    Exchange 2010
    SharePoint 2010
    Management Wizards

IIRC it will not handle central backup but will encourage folder re-direction so should not be needed

Scalable to 75 users so should allow for future growth too.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: 1st server for small office

I would go the SBS2011 Std path.
      Get the T110, or better yet the T310.
      Put at least 16GB in it.

the base RAID in a 110 isn't great, so consider getting a Perc RAID card, but not the "S" series (as it's mainly software raid)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point