Youtube problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube problem

Has anyone found the answer to what seems to be quite a common problem of failing to display any Youtube videos. The site keeps asking for an Adobe Flash Player to be loaded, but when installed it still fails to display videos. I am still using an up to date Windows XP on the PC, but I must admit the legal copy was bought from EBay for a Dell PC. Otherwise everything else works OK. The PC is too old with only 1 Gb of RAM to ever install the fancy Windows 7 etc.

Re: Youtube problem

Have you tried uninstalling Flash, rebooting, and reinstalling the latest version?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes Thanks. Each time I log onto youtube I reinstall the Adobe Flash they ask.

Comment

You were partly correct Ossian, I did as you suggested and uninstalled Adobe Flash, then rebooted, and as advised at the Youtube site now controlled by Google, I reinstalled Adobe Flash Player. But the problem on this PC at least and probably others, is that not only there does not appear to be any way to prevent crafty greedy Google insisting you also install their wretched Google Chrome, and toolbar. But the PC will still not display Youtube videos with Internet Explorer, only if you use Chrome !! So I am scared stiff now of even uninstalling the Google toolbar !!

However thank goodness you are not forced to use Chrome all the time. I need to use IE most of the time because I upload numerous pages etc each day to my site converted from emails from friends, and I need to be sure they will all display OK at least using Windows default IE. For example MHT pages I am told fail to display for people who insist on using the strange Firefox, at least unless some special patch is downloaded.

Comment

Flash (and other Adobe products) have always given you the option to untick Google toolbat and AFAIK youtube doesnt insist on a particular browser.

It may, however, be time to give your PC a reformat and reinstall of Windows as it sounds like a lot of c**p has built up on it.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again. It is a good job I did not see the option to avoid using Chrome etc or I would not have solved the problem. You are right I could try installing another Windows XP, but it is only a old PC for standby. But a search shows others have had the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X