Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid 5 Issues

hey every one ...

I have question about Raid 5 that i have 4 HD*140GB I select the first 3 HD and created a Raid 5 and the last one as spare okay and i partitioned the Raid to tow partitions one for system & one for data . Now every time i re-install windows server from start smart cd the whole disks formatted i want just to format the system without losing the data ??? so what i can do

Re: Raid 5 Issues

Try installing from the Windows Media, not the (HP?) Smart Start media which does its own things
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I know if i installed from windows media it will be okay ... but the HP has all drivers becoz i'm working for clients & there's no time to download drivers ... so this the only solution at all thnx to u

Comment

Surely you can extract the drivers from the SmartStart disk?
        or insert it at the point in windows setup when it asks for drivers?

Tell us which version of Windows you are installing please
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Win 2008 R2 .... about the extrzcting okay i can do that as u said .. but i didn't get what u mean insert CD in the point of windows when it asks for Drivers there's no point of that unless u used the HP CD he will take it by default may be i'm wrong

Comment

Option 1)
            Find drivers on HP CD, copy to flash drive, insert when OS install asks for drivers

Option 2)
            Start OS install, wait till it asks for drivers, insert HP CD (you are not booting from it), let installer scan CD for drivers, replace OS CD when prompted
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I agree with Ossian, don't use the smart start DVD at install. Install off the Windows DVD and then once that's done install the PSP (Proliant Support Pack) off the HP DVD which gives you all of the drivers and the HP management tools.

Haven't used smartstart since the 2003 days when it was much harder to get RAID drivers into Windows at install time. Most HP Servers will not need the driver at install time, IME it's only servers with the B110i RAID controller.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X