No announcement yet.

Caddy for hard drives

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caddy for hard drives

Forgive my ignorance, but I have just learned it should be possible to plug almost any hard drive into the external USB port of a PC using a Caddy. But are most hard 3.5 IDE drives suitable for below, and does it provide the power and data leads needed.

Re: Caddy for hard drives

There is an external power pack, like a laptop, that connectect into the port just below the On/Off switch on the image supplied by your link. It is also possible to purchase a USB enclosure that has an internal power supply. I much prefer them as it negates the need to have the external power pack and lead.

Just be aware that the enclosure needs to have the appropriate connector (IDE or SATA) for your HDD although you can purchase enclosures that will have both connectors.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Caddy for hard drives

Looking at the picture on the fleaBay listing, it appears to include a power supply
      In general 3.5 inch drives WILL need power, 2.5 inch probably will not
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **