No announcement yet.

HP Freezes at BIOS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Freezes at BIOS

I've been fighting with this computer for a few weeks now and the computer is winning! Out of nowhere it freezes up at the bios where it is detecting storage devices, won't even let me enter setup. I unhook both HD and dvd drive and I can enter setup no prob. I hook just the DVD drive back up and it freezes i hook just HD up and it freezes. Any idea? could it be the MOBO? I've also tried different sata cables and no luck. Also reset with jumper and bat. I just want to be 100% sure before I go drop the cash in a new MOBO. Thanks.

Re: HP Freezes at BIOS

Looks likely it's a faulty storage controller, which means new mobo. If possible test the drives from this machine in a known good machine, and try the drives from the KG machine in this one to verify though.

Might also be worth trying a BIOS flash if there is a newer version, just in case it's a firmware issue.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Could you give us a couple of clues which model of HP it is -- could be anything from a laptop to a server!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Did you change the Power Supply on this device (assuming it is a desktop)?
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Did you also try plugging the cables into different SATA connectors on the motherboard?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy